Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vanilla Bean-Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting

I found this really cute plate the other day for 2 dollars! I love finding cute plates for cheap prices.

I was thinking of a cupcake that I could make to round out my other treats and I remembered this picture.
Doesn't that frosting look perfect? I was so curious about these cupcakes that I had to throw them into the mix.
The secret ingredient here is reduced coconut milk. You bring coconut milk to a boil and then let it reduce on the stove until it becomes thick and syrup-like.
The reduced coconut milk is added to the cupcake batter and also the frosting.
I don't usually sample things when I am baking, as strange as that may sound, but I did take a little nibble of this cupcake and it was really good. Very moist.
I also tasted a little bit of the cupcake with the frosting- I think they went together well and complimented each other, but the frosting was a tad bit on the sweet side.

I was a little bit disappointed because the frosting didn't look as good as in the picture. I think the butter for the frosting was too soft which led to a very soft frosting that was difficult to pipe and keep its shape. A few hours in the fridge helped, but they didn't turn out looking as good as I wanted them too.

The cupcakes and frosting also had those fun little flecks that you get when you use a vanilla bean. I just love how that looks and the flavor it adds is amazing.

These were also well liked as I had no leftovers to bring home. If you like coconut-you should try these!

Recipe for Vanilla Bean-Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting


One Year Ago- "A Lot Like Love" Pie- Fresh Peach and Raspberry Pie with White Chocolate Mousse, Raspberry Coulis and Fresh Peach Sorbet

7 comments:

Eliana said...

These look super delish. I actually have this recipe flagged on my iPhone and now can't wait to try it.

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Your cupcake looks wonderful! I saw those plates at TJ Maxx and thought they were really cute too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those cupcakes sound unbelievably good. And what a cute plate!

Aggie said...

Love the plate but love the cupcake even MORE!! Vanilla bean and coconut...wow.

Unknown said...

super cute! and I have the coffee mug that matches that plate--i had to show serious restraint to not buy a whole set!

Unknown said...

Adorable plate and what a good deal! I am going to make these as soon as I can - love the idea of reducing coconut milk and adding it in!

Coconut Recipes said...

Looks delicious!