Friday, October 9, 2009

Spaghetti Squash Gratins with Chunky Tomato Sauce

It is so funny to me how our tastebuds change as we grow older. Sometimes.
When I was a child I did not like winter squash. My mom would always cook it in big chunks and I could barely swallow it. I hated the flavor and the texture. It literally made me gag.
I just thought it wasn't for me and didn't try it again for a long time.

Last year I decided to give all these sorts of squashy things another chance. I was older, perhaps wiser and so, who knows- it was worth a shot.
I tried this Butternut Squash Risotto and ever since all types of winter squashes and I are now really good buddies. Butternut, Acorn, Spaghetti, Pumpkin, etc. I love them all. That was also the first time I tried making risotto, which is also one of my favorite foods.

I saw this really cute recipe for Spaghetti Squash Gratins and I had a container of ricotta cheese in the fridge, so I decided to try it out.
Ever since I have tried this Spaghetti Squash and Quinoa Bake (which is one of my all-time favorite dishes- it is fabulous), I prefer to roast my spaghetti squash in the oven when I am planning to use it that day.

In this dish the spaghetti squash takes place of noodles. The sauce is easy and delicious, but if you are short on time you could also sub in your favorite jarred pasta sauce. The ricotta-herb topping is very flavorful and yummy. It was also fun for everyone to have their own little individual gratin.

My pictures didn't turn out very well because it was a rainy, dark day and there wasn't really anything I could do about it. This was a delicious dinner. I am so glad it is cooling off because that to me means that it is winter squash season!

Recipe for Spaghetti Squash Gratins with Chunky Tomato Sauce

One Year Ago- Butternut Squash Risotto

4 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Isn't it funny how tastes change? When I was little I hated bbq and now it's all I want to eat!

Kerstin said...

I was actually a super picky eater when I was younger and my mom still can't believe that I turned out to be a foodie with a blog!

I have never cooked spaghetti squash before, but I am looking forward to trying it, this dish looks fabulous!

Charli said...

I like to call it getting my "big girl tastebuds"

That does sound delicious!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious!