Thursday, October 1, 2009

Crispy Tofu with Green Vegetable Stir-fry

As soon as I saw the photo for this recipe in a recent issue of Family Fun Magazine, I ripped it out.
This looked like it could be the one. The recipe that would get certain members of my family excited about tofu. (I won't mention any names, but one of them is not a child- that pretty much gives it away, doesn't it?)
Ok, maybe excited isn't the right word to use there.
Acceptance is what I was going for.

Here you have small tofu cubes that are marinated, breaded, and deliciously crispy.
This recipe is a bit more time intensive than the one I posted last week, but it is also one that I would make again.
The stir-fry is great, the tofu is delicious and my family really loved it.

The tofu cubes are flavorful and crispy-the panko breading is perfect.
The recipe suggested serving this over rice, but we don't eat alot of rice and I had some whole wheat angel hair pasta, so I served the stir-fry over noodles instead.
The recipe also suggested using any combination of green vegetables that you like, such as: asparagus, fresh green beans, broccoli, sugar snap peas, snow peas, and/or zucchini.
I used all of the above, except for the sugar snap peas and snow peas.

My daughter (the one that loves tofu), even ate some of the leftover cubes as a snack the next day. Cold, out of the refrigerator.

I'm just saying....


Crispy Tofu with Green Veggie Stir-Fry adapted from Family Fun Magazine
Ingredients
For the tofu:
1 14 oz package extra firm tofu
2 Tbls soy sauce
1 tsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs found in the ethnic food aisle of supermarkets)
1/3 cup canola oil (I used 2 Tbls and cooking spray)

1- Drain the tofu, then press it with paper towels to remove excess water. Cut into cubes.
2. Combine the soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar in a 8-inch square baking dish. Add the tofu cubes and turn them to coat all sides. Set the cubes aside to marinate for 30 minutes, turning them once halfway through.
3. For dredging, make an assembly line of three small dishes: the first containing the cornstarch; the second, the egg; and the third, the panko. Toss each tofu cube lightly in each dish, in the order listed. Set the cubes aside on a plate until all are coated.
4. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and heat the oven to 200 degrees F. Heat a 10 to 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then the tofu cubes to the pan. Fry them on one side until golden and crisp, then continue cooking until all sides are golden, using tongs to turn them, about 6 minutes total. Transfer the cubes to the paper towel-lined baking sheet and place it in the oven to keep the tofu warm.

For the stir-fry sauce
:
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
2 Tbls oyster sauce
1 Tbls soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

1. Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

For the stir-fry
:
1 Tbls canola oil
1 small bunch scallions
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
4 cups cut up vegetables to stir-fry(I used broccoli, asparagus, zucchini and fresh green beans)
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds ( I totally forgot about these)

1. Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the oil, then the scallions and ginger. Stir-fry until they're just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the vegetables and stir-fry until they're crisp tender, about 3 or 4 minutes. Add the garlic and the sauce, stir-frying the mixture until it's bubbling, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Serve stir-fry with rice or noodles and top with 12 cubes of tofu, per serving. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

One Year Ago-Red Lentil Soup-2 ways and Bundles of Joy with homemade Pear Butter

10 comments:

Kayte said...

Between this post and the one on Wendy's site, and Rachel MAKING HER OWN TOFU, I really need to rethink this whole tofu aversion and get with the plan. You all make it look so good (and I have never had it so I wouldn't know), and I really need to revisit this whole issue. Maybe with this recipe to start, yep, May Be. Looks wonderful, really, it does.

Maria said...

Nice crisp on the tofu!

~~louise~~ said...

I adore tofu Mary Ann and there's no doubt in my mind that I will be cooking up this recipe. It sounds wonderful!!!

The grandkids are coming in Nov. and since my daughter has a tofu aversion, I think your recipe may be their very first sample. I'll let you know...

Thanks so much for sharing...

Leslie said...

I wish more people liked tofu and didn't look at me like I have three heads when I suggest it for dinner. This looks like The One to convert them!

Anonymous said...

This looks really yummy.

Cindy said...

I think I could do crisp tofu! Looks delish.

Kasha said...

Crispy tofu? I might eat it if it is crispy!
Kasha
http://grubandstuff.blogspot.com

Kerstin said...

Panko crusted tofu is such a great idea - it sounds delicious! My hubby still needs a bit of convincing about tofu too :)

Michele said...

I love this recipe! Thanks for sharing! Great photos as well!

Stephany said...

I just made this tofu tonight - and literally finished eating 5 min. ago and had to hurry to post that this was the most DELICIOUS method of tofu I've ever had... thank you so much - it's so delicious!