Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Cake Slice- Cinnamon-Pecan Coffee Cake

(If you are looking for TWD, it is after this post)
The Cake Slice is starting off another year with a new book to bake from. We are going to be baking from Southern Cakes by Nancie McDermott.
The first cake we baked is the Cinnamon-Pecan Coffee Cake. A very basic cake is layered with a cinnamon-brown sugar mixture, melted butter and a combination of raisins & pecans.
This recipe calls for a 9x13-inch pan to be used, but I knew that would be way to much coffee cake for us, so I halved the recipe and made it in a 8x8-inch pan with great results. I reduced the baking time by about 10 minutes.

This coffee cake took minutes to put together. The cake batter was easy and the fillings were easy too. I thought it was an interesting technique to spread the cinnamon-sugar over the batter and then pour melted butter on top of the cinnamon-sugar. I haven't ever made a streusel-y type topping or filling that way. The pecans and raisins are sprinkled on top of the melted butter.

I had leftover melted butter. I thought the recipe called for a little bit too much, so I didn't use all of it.
As soon as this came out of the oven, I promptly cut it into pieces and distributed it to plates to give away. I tasted one bite and it tasted exactly like a cinnamon roll to me. That was a little wierd because it didn't have the same texture as a cinnamon roll, but the taste was the same.

To see what the other Cake Slice Bakers thought of this coffee cake, check out the Blogroll and come back next month to see another Southern Cake!



Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake

(Recipe from Southern Cakes by Nancie McDermott)

Makes a 13 x 9 inch sheet cake

For the Cake

3 cups all purpose flour

1 tbsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup milk

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

For the Cinnamon Raisin Filling

1½ cups light brown sugar

3 tbsp all purpose flour

3 tbsp cinnamon

1½ cups raisins

1½ cups coarsely chopped pecans

¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, melted

Method

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 9 inch pan.

To make the filling, combine the light brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl and stir with a fork to mix everything well. Combine the raisins and pecans in another bowl and toss to mix them. Place the cinnamon mixture, nut mixture and melted butter by the baking pan to use later.

To make the cake batter, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Stir the vanilla into the milk. In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar and beat with a mixer on high speed until pale yellow and evenly mixed, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl to ensure a good mix. Add the eggs and beat for another 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl now and then, until the mixture is smooth and light.

Use a large spoon or spatula to add about a third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir only until the flour disappears. Add a third of the milk and mix in. Repeat twice more until all the flour and milk mixtures have been incorporated. Stir just enough to keep the batter smooth.

Spread half the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half the cinnamon mixture over the batter followed by half the melted butter. Scatter half the raisins and nuts over the top. Spread the remaining batter carefully over the filling, using a spatula to smooth the batter all the way to the edges of the pan. Top with the leftover cinnamon, butter and nut mixture, covering the cake evenly.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the cake is golden brown, fragrant and beginning to pull away from the edges of the pan. Place the pan on a wire rack and allow to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes before serving in squares right from the pan. The cake is delicious hot, warm or at room temperature.


19 comments:

Hindy said...

Oh my! This looks good and it tastes like a cinnamon roll. I may put this cookbook on my Christmas list. Beautifully done!

Unknown said...

Your cake looks great! I agree- the recipe called for too much melted butter. I also cut back.

Eliana said...

Great looking cake Mary Ann. This is the first time it hasn't been a layer cake the Cake Slicer's in a while.

Maria said...

I love coffee cakes. the cinnamon always wins me over.

Jodie said...

That's so funny- it did taste like a cinnamon roll! Yours looks great!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yes--they tasted like a cinnamon roll...that must be why i liked it so much! :)

Katrina said...

Sounds de-lish!

Monica H said...

Your cake looks great. I thought it tasted like a cinnamon roll as well, but I miss the yeasty-ness fromt he actual rolls. I have to say though that this version is much easier.

Unknown said...

Oh this looks so good! This is the sort of thing I can see myself making and then proceeding to eat way too much...

Katie said...

Your cake looks wonderful. I agree it reminded me of a cinnamon roll or sticky bun too :)

Rachel said...

Perfect!

Mansi said...

Pecan and Cinnamon always pair well together. your cake looks great, and I bet that half-empty pan is proof enough!:)

btw, they'd be perfect for my sweet celebration contest I'd be glad if you could send them in for my blog event!

Anna said...

Wow, this looks deadly...in a good way. Thanks for the great recipe!

Anonymous said...

I've heard good things about Southern Cakes. I'll have to check it out. Your coffee cake looks yummy!

Jenn/CinnamonQuill said...

What a gorgeous cake!

TeaLady said...

Oh, I miss baking with the CSB's. But way too many cakes. May have to get this book and come back tho. Looks wonderful...

Joy said...

Hi Mary Ann!

I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself- My name is Joy and I’m one of the newbie Cake Slice bakers. I’m really looking forward to meeting other members, and I hope to have the chance to get to know you better as we bake our way through Southern Cakes :)

Your coffee cake looks absolutely delicious- fabulous job! I'm glad to know that the recipe works well halved and in a smaller pan... I had a lot of cake left over (I decided to freeze a few slices), so next time I think I'll follow your example!

If you have a chance, I’d love for you to stop by my blog, “Hot Oven, Warm Heart,” and say hello- it’d be wonderful to hear from you!

Hope you have a great rest of your week and a relaxing weekend!

Fondly,
Joy
http://hotovenwarmheart.wordpress.com/

Pamela said...

Wow! Looks so gorgeous. I'm drooling over here...

symphonious sweets said...

Very tasty cake indeed!