Friday, October 23, 2009

Spaghetti Squash and Chard Gratin

I found out about this recipe when Kalyn sent out a tweet about a new post on her blog. I immediately went over to her blog to check out the Spaghetti Squash and Chard Gratin.
I love spaghetti squash (although this love is fairly recent) and I also love swiss chard. I never in a million years would have thought to put the two together.

I put this down on my menu calendar and the next time I went for groceries, I found beautiful swiss chard and a nice sized spaghetti squash.

This recipe takes a little time, but it is completely worth it. Plus, you can roast your spaghetti squash during the day, when you are at home, before dinner time.

There are a few things that I did differently.

I always roast my spaghetti squash whole. I preheat the oven to 400 degrees, poke my squash all over with a fork or skewer, cover a baking sheet with foil and pop the squash in the oven. I usually let it roast for an hour, turning it once or twice. This to me, is way easier than trying to cut through it raw. Once it has roasted, you can slice the thing in half with no problem.

I also sauteed my swiss chard mixture a little too long. It wasn't completely my fault though. Some kind of emergency came up with one of my kids in the bathroom and so, you know how that goes.
I also used chard with red stems and chopped them up and saute them too.
I used greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
I topped my gratin with a combination of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and a little bit of canola oil- to bring the topping together.
Delicious! I tasted it straight out of the pan and it was so good. My kids liked it and so did my hubby. So nutritious too.
Check out Kayln's blog for great pics of this recipe and lots of other great recipes too.


Recipe for Spaghetti Squash and Chard Gratin

One Year Ago-Bulgur and Chickpea Stuffed Squash

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum, this is perfect for the chilly weather right now.

Sophie said...

I haven't had spaghetti squash since last fall! There's a vegetable I almost forgot about. I throw it in the oven too, those things are impossible to cut thru when raw! I like that you used greek yogurt and I really like that this is a veggie dish. I'm gonna try this out soon :).

Delicious Dishings said...

This looks so yummy. Swiss chard is on that list of very few foods I don't like (which includes other bitter greens too), so maybe I could try making it with spinach instead.

Also, thanks for the tip about roasting the squash whole. I've never heard of doing that before, and I'm sure it is much easier than trying to break through a raw one.

Barbara Bakes said...

I haven't cooked with swiss chard and I still have some spaghetti squash from my garden, so I'm going to have to give this a try!

Aggie said...

You know I love me some spaghetti squash! I am going to have to try this out! I am also going to try roasting my spag squash next time, I always microwave it but I bet it tastes so good roasted! Yum yum!

Have a great weekend MA! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm making so many different recipes b/c of Twitter. It's fun! This sounds delicious.

Sarah said...

Mmm... Looks delicious! Putting this on the list!

Kalyn Denny said...

So glad you liked it! I always hope the recipes will turn out for other people as well as they did for me.