Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bulgur and Chickpea Stuffed Squash

First of all an apology to my fellow Barefoot Bloggers- I am going to be posting the Vegetable Pot Pie a few days late. I waited until the last minute and then got a surprise opportunity to participate in a pizza cook-off, but had very little notice to get ready. So, as you read this, I am probably throwing my pizza together, hoping the judges like it enough to call it the winner!
I thought I would share this delicious dinner we had the other night. Ever since I tried the Butternut Squash Risotto a few weeks ago- I have decided to give all winter squash another chance. My mom used to make it alot when I was a kid and I wasn't very fond of it. But, now I love it!
This dinner was so good. I reduced the amount of sausage and used turkey sausage instead. I also added a can of chickpeas because I thought it would taste good in this. I added some chicken stock at the end to keep it moist and this was a beautiful all in one dinner. The acorn squash made cute little bowls and the combination of the bulgur filling with the slightly sweet squash was amazing. Please give it a try, even if you don't like squash, you might be surprised. I am now a lover of winter squash!
p.s. I will get the vegetable pot pie up over the weekend, so come on back!




Bulgur-Stuffed Squash adapted from Family Circle Magazine
3 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
1 sweet Italian turkey sausages 1- 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1/4-1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons maple syrup

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Place squash halves, cut-side down, on a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Add 2 cups water, and transfer to oven. Bake at 400°F for 35 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, put bulgur in a bowl. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over bulgur; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 30 minutes.
3. Once bulgur is softened, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 2 minutes. Stir in chickpeans,garlic powder, and red pepper; cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in bulgur, chili sauce, chicken stock to moisten, and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. Remove squash from oven; pour off water. Flip over squash; brush with maple syrup. Season with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Spoon filling in squash; return to oven. Bake 10 minutes.

Coming tomorrow- Vanilla Sandwich Cookies with Raspberry Cream and Peanut Butter Bon-Bons!

11 comments:

Emily said...

GREAT RECIPE!!! This is my kind of cooking! I love your addition of chickpeas! (I wasn't much of a squash fan as a kid either, but now I can't get enough of it!)

Lisa said...

This looks so good. Good luck in the pizza cook off!

Maria said...

This recipe has it all! Looks like a winner! Good luck at the cook off!

Prudy said...

That looks wonderrful-but don't keep me in suspense over the pizza! I sure hope you win. Let me know how it goes!

Cathy said...

This looks fabulous! I am loving turkey sausage these days -- I can't tell the difference between turkey and regular, and a little bit of sausage adds a lot of flavor! Good luck in the pizza cookoff -- keep us posted!

The Blonde Duck said...

Peanut butter bon bons!!! I can't wait!!!! Now now now now now now!

And good luck!

Jeena said...

This is lovely, just my kind of food! Great pics. :-)

Mary Ann said...

Thank you ladies! I don't know yet if I was victorious in the pizza contest, but we had the veggie pot pie for dinner and it was delish!

susan said...

looks super duper yummy! great job!

*Priscilla* said...

that looks delicious!! so yummy!

Alexa said...

Too funny, we are on the same topic again, Mary Ann. Your recipe looks delicious.I wish I could eat bulgur. Maybe with millet instead...