Thursday, October 9, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers-Butternut Squash Risotto

I have fallen in love once before this year with food. Well, it happened again. This was possibly the most delicious dish I have ever tried. And I didn't think it was going to be amazing. Winter squash isn't my favorite vegetable. This exceeded my expectations. It was amazing. I don't know how else to describe it. I didn't eat anything else that I made for dinner. WOW! The subtle sweetness of the squash with the savory deliciousness of the rice was unbelievable. I made it lighter that Ina called for, but it still knocked my socks off! I have never made risotto before, but I think it might become a monthly, if not more, occurance. Delicious! I reduced the amount of olive oil, butter, pancetta, and cheese, used onions instead of shallots and omitted the saffron (didn't have any). Thank you to Rachel of Rachel Likes to Cook who chose this marvelous Barefoot Bloggers dish! Butternut Squash Risotto adapted from The Barefoot Contessa

1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 ounces pancetta, diced
1/2 cup minced onion
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (10 ounces)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds, and cut it into 3/4-inch cubes. You should have about 6 cups. Place the squash on a sheet pan and toss it with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once, until very tender. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan. Leave it on low heat to simmer.
In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the pancetta and onions on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Add the 1/2 cup chicken stock and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice plus the 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to add the stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring every few minutes. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock. Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total. Off the heat, add the roasted squash cubes and Parmesan. Mix well and serve.

19 comments:

Prudy said...

I concur-this is the best. I made it for lunch yesterday, then stole some off my husband's plate at dinner time and now I want it again today. I can't wait to make more. Thanks so much for my double comments yesterday. I'm so glad you liked the hamburger buns.

Cathy said...

Mary Ann, to answer the question you asked me in the nice comment you left on my blog, YES, OH YES, this might well be the best thing I have ever tasted!! I was not expecting to be blown away, as I am not one to crave butternut squash, but somehow the flavors and textures just melded together into something truly amazing. Yours looks wonderful. Next time, I will further lighten the recipe, like you did. Can we make some more tonight?

chocolatechic said...

Fabulous recipe.

Alexa said...

I made a butternut squash risotto two days before my twins' birthday last year. They liked it so much, they requested it for their birthday dinner. When, that meal was over, they asked me to make it again the next day. It's such a beautiful pairing of flavors. I am going to try your recipe this week. Thanks, Mary Ann!

Anonymous said...

Exactly! I can't believe I thought about skipping this one. The squash just didn't appeal to me. But, whoa, Baby, this is good.

Anonymous said...

I loved this, too! This was my first week and what a high expectation it set!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so glad you like it! Yum!

Sarah said...

We share a brain on our thoughts for this dish. Yours looks great!

Megan said...

Awesome! The combo doesn't seem to go together, but it really works out so well!!

Aggie said...

Yours looks great! It really is a good dish, although I wasn't too sure about mine at first. I really want to make it again!

Maria said...

I have a butternut squash waiting to be used. Can't wait to try this risotto!

Anonymous said...

We made most of the same changes. Ina gets a little crazy with the butter, oil, etc. Yours looks so perfect.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this was really good... huh! Glad you liked it!
~Cat

Audrey said...

I think the best thing about learning to make risotto was that once you learn the "formula" (onions, rice, broth, cheese) you can add so many different things to it. You could make it once a month and never make it the same! But this version was so good, it was worth falling in love with!

La Bella Cooks said...

This looks like a fantastic recipe. I love the color of the squash. I think I would be addicted very quickly to this dish!

Heather B said...

I loved this too! It was so delicious! Your risotto looks great!

Suzie said...

There's nothing like a love story. Great to hear how much you enjoyed it.

Megan said...

It knocked my socks off too!

Summer said...

Looks Great! I'm in love too, wasn't it delicious? I've already had leftovers, twice.