Saturday, October 11, 2008

Slow Cooker Vegetable Casserole

This was a really hard dish to get a good picture of. It was nicely stacked in the slow cooker, but when I dished it up, it all kinda fell apart. The pics don't do it justice. Just try to imagine beans mixed with pesto, layered with polenta, zucchini, mushrooms, cheese and then spinach and pesto on top. Oh and don't forget the tomatoes. I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious this ended up being. This was a tasty, easy dish that was full of flavor and veggies. I added a sliced zucchini because I had one and we had this on a busy weekend. If you need a side dish that is full of veggies, this is a good one. But, I am not going to lie, this is the only part of the meal that I ate.

Slow Cooker Vegetable Casserole adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
2 19-oz. cans cannellini beans
1 19-oz. can garbanzo or fava beans
1/4 cup purchased basil pesto
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1 16-oz. pkg. refrigerated cooked plain polenta cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices

1 zucchini, sliced
1-8 oz pkg mushrooms, presliced
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
1 8-oz. pkg. finely shredded Italian cheese blend (2 cups)
2 cups fresh spinach

Directions
1. Rinse and drain beans. In large bowl combine beans, 2 tablespoons of pesto, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
2. In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker layer half of bean mixture, half of polenta, zucchini, and half of cheese. Add remaining beans and polenta. Cover; cook on low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or on high heat setting 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Add tomato, remaining cheese and spinach. Combine remaining pesto and 1 tablespoon water. Drizzle pesto mixture on casserole. Let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

8 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

I need to start doing more things in the slow cooker. I like the idea of this combination. Great thinking!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great dish! I forget to use my slow cooker.

Ralonda said...

Looks yummy! I've got to get a new slow cooker.
I think your pics are great!

Unknown said...

I just ripped this page out of my issue. Nice to to have the review. Now I am definitely going to make it.
(bakingwiththeboys.wordpress.com)

Melissa said...

That looks delicious. And I think your pictures are great. Yum!

Jenny said...

Yum Mary Ann, this looks like a great meal. It's always nice to break out the slow cooker!

Prudy said...

This is exactly the kind of dish I want to make more often. I just bought a second slow cooker so that I can have something like this in one and a side of meat in the other. That way everyone is happy.

Aggie said...

I just tore this out of my magazine today! I overlooked the first few times I leafed through it and was getting ready to throw it out. I knew it would be delicious! Yours looks great, I can't wait to make it!