Wednesday, October 8, 2008

You Want Pies With That?- "A Lot Like Love" Fresh Peach-Raspberry Pie with White Chocolate Mousse, Raspberry Coulis, and Fresh Peach Sorbet


WARNING- (This will be the sappiest, corniest, cheesiest post I ever write, but it all had to do with keeping the theme, so read on and forgive me ahead of time!)
"A Lot Like Love" Pie- 1- "A little goes a long way"
2- "Sometimes it gets a little messy"
3- "You have to wait for it, it is just that good"

Welcome to a new event, You Want Pies with That? Susie was inspired when she watched the movie, Waitress, a great film, where the main character invents pies with great names to describe what is going on in her life. Susie asked a few of us to join her and this group was born! The point of this group is to invent Pies!

Our first theme is "I love that Movie!" We got to choose a movie and create a pie that ties into it, be it by food, theme, a phrase, or whatever. This was really fun for me. I came up with about a million different movies and fun pies that would go along with them, but in the end, I just liked how this movie fit my pie.

A little background on my movie choice. This summer a dear friend, her little sister and I went to the drive-in, just for fun. We saw a movie that wasn't that great that starred Ashton Kutcher. I remembered that I don't like him when he plays characters that are supposed to be funny, I remembered I liked him once, when he played a more serious role. My friend hadn't seen that movie, so we rented it later that week. This same friend just happened to be in town when I was inventing my pie, so that made it even more fun. I love the movie- "A Lot Like Love", it follows 2 people who have a chance encounter and follows them through the years, they keep meeting up, but the timing is never right. I won't ruin the ending if you haven't seen it, but I loved this movie. It is quirky, fun and has great music.

I decided to create "A Lot Like Love" Pie. It starts with a Spicy Gingersnap Graham Pecan Crust, because well, we all need a little spice and zing in our lives, right?
Next, comes the Fresh Peach and Raspberry Layers. This pie has lots of layers, because love is multi-layered, it is deep and there is always something more that you can give or get.
Then comes the White Chocolate Mousse, decadent and wonderful.
Top it off with Fresh Peach Sorbet and Raspberry Coulis, both fresh, beautiful,and tart, giving this pie just a little bit more!

This pie is "a lot like love" because it is multilayered-there is alot going on in and around this pie, but all the layers go so well with each other. It is sweet and fresh, rich and creamy, spicy and nutty, all at the same time. It reminds me of the last fruits and days of summer, you want that last peach to last forever, just like you want love to do the same. So, savor it slowly, and enjoy, it just might last forever!






"A Lot Like Love" Pie- Fresh Peach and Raspberry Pie in a Spicy Gingersnap Graham Pecan Crust with White Chocolate Mousse, Raspberry Coulis, and Fresh Peach Sorbet by Mary Ann
Make the crust first. When it is almost cool, make fresh peach filling and fresh raspberry layer.
Add raspberry layer to cooled crust and spread to make even and smooth. Pour fresh peach filling over top, smooth with a rubber spatula to make even, and cover with foil and refrigerate.
Next, make the white chocolate mousse and refrigerate.
Make raspberry coulis and refrigerate.
When pie and mousse have been in the fridge for at least 2 hours, dollop mousse in blobs on top of peach filling and very carefully spread mousse to edges of pie. Cover with a plate and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Now make Fresh Peach Sorbet.
When ready to serve, drizzle raspberry coulis onto plate, carefully slice and plate pie, garnish with sorbet and more coulis. Enjoy!

Spicy Gingersnap Graham Pecan Crust by Mary Ann
1/3 cup pecans, toasted
5 gingersnaps
1 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 Tbls sugar
4 T butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place toasted pecans and gingersnaps in a food processor. Process until mixture is fine crumbs, but watch carefully so it doesn't get too moist. Tranfer to a bowl. Add graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Mix with hands until well combined. Add melted butter and mix until butter is mixed in. Press into a 9-inch glass pie plate and bake for 10 minutes. Place on wire rack and let cool completely before filling.

Fresh Peach Filling adapted from Nancy Morgan's Fresh Peach Pie
3 large peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup water
1/2-3/4 cup sugar, depending on sweetness of peaches
3 T cornstarch

Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Mash and combine all ingredients. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. This should take about 5 minutes. When thickening remove from heat.

Fresh Raspberry Layer by Mary Ann
2- 6 oz containers fresh raspberries
2T -4 T sugar, to taste
Place raspberries and sugar in a bowl. Mash well, but leave larger pieces of berry.

White Chocolate Mousse adapted from Daring Bakers Opera Cake Challenge (May 2008)
7 oz white baking chocolate
1 cup + 3 Tbls heavy whipping cream

Place white chocolate and 3 Tbls cream in a small heavy bottomed saucepan. Melt together over low heat. When chocolate is completely melted, remove from heat and let cool completely.
Whip remaining 1 cup heavy cream to soft peaks and gently fold into the white chocolate mixture. Refrigerature until slightly thickened, about 2 hours.

Raspberry Coulis by Dorie Greenspan
6 oz frozen raspberries, slightly thawed
3 Tbls water
2-3 Tbls sugar

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Strain mixture through sieve to remove all seeds. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Fresh Peach Sorbet Adapted from Anne Strawberry who Adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
6-8 Fresh, Ripe Peaches (about 2 pounds)
1/3 Cup Sugar
2/3 Cup Water
4 Teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
Pinch of Salt
4 Tbls peach nectar

Slice, peel, and pit the peaches. Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Taste, then add more lemon juice or sugar if desired.
Pour mixture into a 9x13-inch metal pan and freeze until solid, at least 3 hours.
Break mixture into chunks and puree in two batches in the food processor, adding 2 Tbls peach nectar to each batch. Make sure to process until smooth and creamy. Pack into a airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours.

26 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Wow, that's definitely a lot of layers - did you consider making this a combo between A Lot Like Love and Shrek? Just saying... But it sounds like all of them go together wonderfully, so kudos!

April said...

Great looking pie!! Love the post!

Anonymous said...

That is one beautiful pie - I love the colors!

Maria said...

Love your movie and pie choice. The pie is gorgeous with the different layers and the sorbet is an added bonus!

Alexa said...

That was such a cute post! I love all the thought and care that went into your creation. The pie looks amazing.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! I love it! So creative, and pretty too! (And I really want to try it now, because I'm sad to see all the summer fruits going!)

Also, I think I vaguely remember seeing a trailer for this movie, but now I think I need to add it to my netflix que.

Susie Homemaker said...

oh good lord.

The Blonde Duck said...

That is so cute! I'm so glad ya'll decided to do this!

Judy said...

Sounds delicious, even if the name of the pie is longer than the title of the movie. ;)

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you picked this movie. I saw the tail end of it this weekend on tv and remembered how cute it was, so I added it to my NetFlix queue. Great work!

Anonymous said...

Your pie sounds great and makes me want to see this movie.

NKP said...

Oh my god, pie-gasm!
Truly wonderful creation.

Aggie said...

I'm loving this pie! Love the layers and that crust sounds so good! Great job!!

Megan said...

Lots of layers - sounds like Shrek!! But your pie is much, much better!! I love all the flavors running around together - ooh, that sounds scandalous!

Tammy said...

I havent seen the movie but the pie looks fabulous!

Prudy said...

Hey, wait a minute. I'm still waiting for the sappiest cheesiest corniest post. I thought you were going to give us all the juicy details of your Georgia romance with your hubby. Oh, well. Another time perhaps.
Your pie looks insanely good. All those layers all those delicious sauces and sorbets. I really want to join this group, but I'm afraid of taking on one more thing. I'll just probably have to stalk it for a few months before I give in.

PheMom said...

I love all the pretty layers and I bet the flavor was wonderful! That is a fun movie. Great job!

Sophie said...

Awesome post. Awesome pie. I love how you tied everything together in such a sweet way, literally and figuratively :)!

I loved Waitress :), what a cute idea for a competition!

Jenny said...

Wow MaryAnn! This looks beautiful and I love the new pie group! I can't believe I haven't seen A lot like love. I've got to check it out. Great pictures too!

RecipeGirl said...

Wow, that looks delicious!!

Tami said...

Very creative! And I love the pie crust recipe - yummy! Great job :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! THis is a great looking pie.

Anonymous said...

Oh, big flavors. This sounds absolutely delicious.

Jacque said...

That looks TO DIE FOR!!! wow, I love how colorful it is too.

Libby said...

I never would have guessed there were that many layers to Ashton Kutcher...but that pie, wow! Libby

Anne said...

Your pie looks wonderful Mary Ann! I love the flavor combos. I hope you liked the sorbet, too! :)