Monday, October 27, 2008

Thai Peanut Noodles with Tofu and Edamame and I've been tagged!

I saw this wonderful looking dish on taste buds. I have been wanting to try more Thai food at home and this look like a good one to try. I added a red pepper, edamame and tofu, just because I thought the more vegetables the better. It made a great meal and had everything in one! The leftovers were great, cold or rewarmed. I was also tagged by Cathy over at The Tortefeasor, so if you can handle reading a little bit, scroll down to the bottom. If you haven't checked out Cathy's blog, go over there. She is one of the funniest bloggers I know. I love her posts!


Thai Peanut Noodles with Tofu adapted from taste buds
1 cup matchstick carrots
3 green onions, sliced into 2 in pieces
1 Tbsp canola oil, divided
2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup matchstick carrots
3 green onions, sliced into 2 in pieces
1 1/2 cups snow peas
1 red bell pepper, chopped
14 oz extra firm tofu, cubed
1 lb whole wheat angel hair spaghetti
10 oz frozen edamame
1/2-1/4 cup peanuts

Heat 1 tsp oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and minced garlic; saute 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and the next 5 ingredients; stir until well blended. Reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to pkg directions; add frozen edamame when pasta has 5 minutes left to cook. Heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add carrots and season with salt & pepper and cook until almost tender. Add snow peas, red pepper, tofu, and green onions and cook 1-2 min more. Toss vegetables, pasta/edamame and peanut sauce together and sprinkle with peanuts.

7 things I did before
1. watched the sun melt into the Baltic Sea every night for a summer
2. worked as a lifeguard summer after summer, teaching swimming lessons and hoping no one would drown
3. wore shorts in the middle of winter, when the snow was up to my knees to rebel
4. went to my college classes the day before I had my son via C-section and went back to class 3 days later
5. tutored underprivileged kids in an after school program
6. enjoyed college classes with guys who are now in the NFL (That's what you get when you go to a great University like GEORGIA- I have a little Dawg pride- GO DAWGS!)
7. Cried too many times when working for DFCS in Clarke County, especially when transporting crack babies to have visits with their birth mothers
7 things I do now
1. Laugh and smile as much as possible
2. Walk my son to and from 1st grade
3. Live for a date with my husband
4. Try to work out before 6:30 am when I start packing lunches
5. Bake, Bake and Bake some more- oh yeah, cooking too
6. Try to get my baby girl to go on the potty
7. Waste time on Facebook looking for old friends

7 things I want to do
1. Open a bakery or cafe
2. Decorate cakes for a living
3. Be motivated to train for a half (again) or full marathon
4. Visit family in Georgia
5. Gain some fashion sense
6. Plan an awesome anniversary trip since this year it is my turn to plan
7. Travel the world

7 things that attract me about the opposite sex (my husband)
1. A good, pure heart
2. the way they treat other people of all kinds
3. good looks
4. sense of humor
5. honesty
6. trustful
7. fun-loving

7 Favorite Foods (I am doing this in groups, because I have too many)
1. Fruit-Watermelon, Strawberries, Elephant-heart plums, fresh georgia or utah peaches, pomegranate
2. Tofu and Edamame
3. Frozen-Pumpkin Ice Cream, Rasberry and Peach Sorbet, Fudge Pops, blueberries and cherries (homegrown)
4.Prudy's Roasted Red Pepper Soup
5. Butternut Squash Risotto
6. Pizza
7. Vegetables and Legumes- Pumpkin- but I love this in dessert (pie, cake, bread, etc), tiny home grown tomatoes, winter and summer squash, kale, spinach, swiss chard, chickpeas, black beans, red lentils
8. Citrus anything and everything
9. Crepes and European Pancakes
10. Indian Food
(I care too much about food!)
7 things I Say Most Often:
1. That is my favorite
2. Did you hear what I just said?
3. Try to remember where you put it last.
4. It is super yummy.
5. I love you
6. Could you please..... ?
7. Can I have a kiss?
Up Next- Tuesday's with Dorie- Chocolate Chocolate Cupcakes- 2 ways

13 comments:

Prudy said...

Mary Ann:
I loved reading about you! I can't believe the humble soup made your favorite food list. I'm so glad that you love it. I also can't believe that you made it to class before and after a c section. You must have some pioneer stock. How lovely to have the view of the Baltic Sea to remember for the rest of your life. And I didn't know you ran a half! I try to run one every year, but it'll be a long time before I run a whole marathon again. The training takes soooo long. The actual day of the marathon is fun, but every other day for six months before is not fun at all. And at the risk or writing forever, how terribly terribly sad about the crack babies. I so wish someone would drop one on my doorstep so that I could keep it forever. I'm always hoping that the stork or some other magical force will drop off another baby. And last of all, YEP you had better open a bakery. And decorate cakes and make all your food, like these noodles. YOu know I'd give up being Prudy and spend all my money there. I love coming to your blog every day!

Mary Ann said...

Prudy,
You are too nice! Seriously. I love going to your blog everyday. In fact, I am going there now to see your donuts!

Maria said...

I loved reading your seven things! SO FUN!!

Cathy said...

Mary Ann, I love learning more about you! I think our kids are probably around the same ages. We'd be friends in real life, I'm sure of it! If for no other reason, because we say the same seven things over and over again. You're a Dawg? Too awesome! I live in SEC country now, and my husband's grandmother lives in Athens, so we still get over there on occasion! You've done/are doing/want to do so many wonderful things! Good luck with the running! I ran the Richmond Marathon in what might as well have been a different lifetime (when I was still in school) but don't have it in me to do the full 26 anymore. A half marathon would be a HUGE accomplishment at this point in my life -- you are amazing for doing it with little ones! It is so hard to make yourself get up and run when you've may have had to get up a couple of times during the night to pat a child or help someone get back to sleep. I hope to run the Mercedes Marathon here in Birmingham in February -- my son is running in the Mercedes "Kid's Marathon" (basically, they run a total of 26 miles over the course of the several months in gym class, and then complete the final mile downtown on the Saturday before the race -- it's a fun event!) -- and I'd love to do the half the next day. We'll see! Maybe you can post about your running progress from time to time, and I'll feel motivated! Thanks again for doing such a great blog -- I really feel like my cooking is totally re-energized now that I can turn to fantastic blogs like yours for ideas!

Unknown said...

Thanks Maria!

Cathy, I am sure we would be friends too! Just don't tell my hubby you live in Alabama (Georgia's only loss this season- he is completely die hard!) So fun that you get to Athens every once in awhile. I miss it so much. I absolutely love it there. Well, anywhere in the South really.
I ran my half in April, but I think I trained too hard, too fast because it kinda burnt me out a little bit. I took a little break from running, not from exercise and now I am working my miles back up. Just think, if we lived close we could train together! Thanks for coming by!

Aggie said...

Hi Mary Ann! Great post!! I love learning about you! You inspire me to workout before 6:30 am...and you'd better open up a bakery, you are SOOO talented girl! I swear, if you were my neighbor we would talk food to our heart's content...and I wouldn't feel so weird about it either! (I sometimes think people think I'm WEIRD because I love food so much)...

Scary game this week...it will be a showdown for sure! We got a babysitter so we could go watch it somewhere...no disrespect, but, GO GATORS! ;)

Mary Ann said...

Aggie- don't worry, I know you are going to be cheering for the Gators and I would be too, if they weren't playing MY DAWGS!! Friends, no matter who wins?? jk
I am glad to know I am not alone in my love of food! I would love it if we were neighborS!

Unknown said...

enjoyed reading your 7 things... hope you'll get your cafe or bakery soon... love your noodles... :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I can't believe you went to class right before a C-section. You must be superwoman.

I'll be first in line at the bakery.

Anonymous said...

Love thai food. Thanks for sharing such interesting info.

La Bella Cooks said...

That was great reading a bit about you!! I love the Thai noodles as well as they look delicious and healthy, can't beat that.

Mary Ann said...

Mikky- thanks for stopping by. the noodles were delish!

Blonde Duck- I'm no superwoman, but I would love your support if I ever did open a bakery!

Candy- your welcome! enjoy the thai noodles!

Bridgett- I definitely love it when healthy and delicious go together!

Annemarie said...

I'm glad you liked this recipe! It sounds delih with your additions!! I'll have to try it your way next time!