Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!! Bakerella's Cake Pops, Chicken Barley Chili and Mixed Bean Chili with Tofu






I had so many Halloween treat ideas, but the one I kept coming back to is Cake Pops. Of course I saw them when Bakerella first came up with the idea and they have been popping up (sorry for the pun) everywhere. I made 2 kinds- Chocolate Cake Pops and Pumpkin/Spice Cake Pops. I don't like to use cake mix very often (I just like making cake from scratch, it is fun!), so I did these from scratch, but you can use a cake mix in a jiffy.
The link for the chocolate cake recipe and cream cheese frosting can be found HERE from Bakerella's appearance on the Martha Stewart show and the Pumpkin Cake recipe can be found HERE courtesy of The Recipe Girl. I used Orange and White Candy Melts to coat them and sprinkles.
Now on to my 2 favorite chilis. They are both super simple. The first one has chicken and barley and I found it on the back of the quick barley box. I have made it multiple times and we love it. I feel good about the whole grains in there too. The second chili has tofu. If you haven't noticed by now, I love tofu. This chili is spicy and really easy. I top both of them with greek yogurt, but you could use sour cream instead.
Happy Halloween Everybody!
Chicken Barley Chili from the back of the Quaker Quick Barley Box
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 16-oz jar salsa (I used Pace Mild)
1 14.5-oz can chicken broth
1 cup QUAKER Quick Barley
3 cups water
1 Tbls Chili powder
1 tsp cumin (I used more)
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz can corn or mexicornm undrained
3 cups cooked chicken breast, cut in bite-size pieces
shredded cheese
sour cream or greek yogurt

In 6-quart saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients. Over high heat, bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, corn, and chicken; increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 more minutes or until barley is tender.
Top with shredded cheese or sour cream/greek yogurt, if desired.

Mixed Bean Chili with Tofu adapted from Cooking Light
7 ounces firm tofu, drained and crumbled (about 1 cup) I cubed mine
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon minced drained canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups water
1 (15-ounce) can black beans
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup greek yogurt or sour cream

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add tofu and 3/4 teaspoon cumin; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Remove tofu mixture from pan.
Heat the oil in pan; add 3/4 teaspoon cumin, chopped onion, coriander, and oregano; sauté 4 minutes. Add tofu mixture, tomato paste, and next 5 ingredients (paste through garlic); stir well. Add water, beans, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Spoon chili into bowls; top each serving with cilantro and sour cream.


Up next- Polenta Rounds with Turkey Sausage and Vegetables in Marinara

10 comments:

Any Little Reason said...

Those cake pops are so cute! I wish I could be so noble as to make cake from scratch every time, but I inevitably reach for a box of cake mix in the pantry!

Shari said...

I love your cake pops! Very festive!

Aggie said...

Your cake pops look perfect! I have yet to try them! Love the flavors in yours!

Your chili looks delish!

Good luck tomorrow (not??!!) lol...It's so hard to be rivals with someone you like isn't it?! Have a great day Mary Ann!

Terah said...

thanks so much for blogging about food and recipes! i love your site! thanks for the many ideas and recipes!

The Food Librarian said...

These are sooooo perfect! Love them!

The Blonde Duck said...

As always, all of them are winners! I'd make all three!

Sophie said...

That Barley Chili sounds awesome! I'd love a bowl of that and a Halloween pop for dessert :). Happy Halloween! lol it's kind of funny because the word I have to type in for the word verification is alien, very festive! :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

The cake pops are adorable. I love how there is barley in the chili.

AmyRuth said...

Cake Pops are so adorable! Very Neat for the season

Anonymous said...

Those pops are totally cute!