Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sarah's Pumpkin Pancakes and Pumpkin-Pecan Coffee Cake

Over the weekend my little girl turned 4. She wanted a Rainbow Pony Cake- and there it is! It turned out great and was alot of fun. She also wanted Pumpkin Pancakes for her birthday breakfast. I have seen them popping up on blogs all over the place and found a great looking recipe for them over at Sweets by Sarah. I made them with a few changes- I started making Sprinkle Pancakes a few years ago as a way to keep pancake eating a little neater. I add sprinkles to the pancakes after I put them in the pan and then they are sweet enough for kids to eat without any syrup. Not so sticky for mom to clean-up. A definite plus for me. My kids love them.
I also added some pecans to some of the pancakes. I made 2 batches and in one batch did half whole wheat flour, added a little wheat germ and flaxseed meal.
There were so so good!
While on the topic of pumpkin, I saw this yummy little coffee cake at Cooking Light and thought it would be a great way to use the rest of the pumpkin. It was delicious!
Two really great breakfasts!





Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes adapted from Sweets by Sarah
Makes about 12 medium pancakes
1 cup flour ( for 1 of the batches I used 1/2 cup whole wheat and added 1 Tbls wheat germ and 1 Tbls flaxseed meal)
1 T sugar
1 t baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground nutmeg
dash of allspice
1/2 c canned pumpkin
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 T butter, melted

Whisk together flour (and whole wheat, flaxseed meal, wheat germ, if using), sugar, soda, salt, and spices. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, pumpkin and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk together until mostly combined, a few lumps are ok. Let the batter rest for about 15 minutes. Heat a griddle to medium heat and drop about 1/4 of batter for each pancake.

Pumpkin-Pecan Coffee Cake from Cooking Light
1 teaspoon butter
1/4 cup regular oats
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons chopped pecans
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice (I used 1/2 tsp cinnamon, scant 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and a dash of allspice)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350°.
Melt 1 teaspoon butter in bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan. Combine oats, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and pecans. Sprinkle oat mixture over bottom of pan, and set aside.
Beat 3 tablespoons butter, granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup brown sugar at medium speed of a mixer until mixture is well-blended (about 4 minutes).

Add the egg, and beat well. Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin-pie spice, and baking soda.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the pumpkin and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
Spoon batter evenly over oat mixture. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes, and invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Coming on Halloween- Bakerella's Cake Pops and 2 kinds of chili-

10 comments:

Cynthia's Blog said...

Way to come through on that pony cake. But the pancakes really caught my eye. I know what I am making this weekend.

Jenny said...

Ok, wait a minute. Are you telling me you decorated that adorable cake?!! You could sooo be a decorator girl! Love it, I am laughing thinking about what a mess mine would look like if I attempted to design it! Well done!

Yummy pancakes too!!

Have a great Halloween with your cuties!

Sarah said...

I am SO glad you liked the pancakes! Yours turned out great and I LOVE the sprinkle pancake idea! I would have never thought of that! The pony cake is great too...perfect!

The Blonde Duck said...

The cake is adorable! I love those pumpkin pancakes! Yum!

#1SAHM said...

everything looks great! tell your little girl "happy birthday" : )

Cathy said...

What a great cake -- I wish I had that for my birthday! My little girl turns 4 in January, and she keeps changing her mind about what she wants. I think I'll end up having to set a deadline past which she can't change her mind anymore! The pumpkin goodies look wonderful, too! I've been dying to make those pancakes, and I love your varations! Happy birthday to your sweetie!

Mary Ann said...

Cynthia- Seriously, try the pancakes, you will not be sorry and then thank Sarah for sharing!

Jenny- I wish I could be a cake decorator! It does take a little time, but so worth it to see my baby girl's face! Happy Halloween right back at ya!

Sarah- Thanks for sharing the recipe. I am sure we are going to be having them again, and again, and again. You get the idea. They are soo good!

Blonde duck- We liked the cake too. Try the pancakes for breakfast soon!

Laura- Thanks for the b-day wishes and thanks for stopping by!

Cathy- If we were neighbors, you know I would be making you a pony cake! I have to get as much use out of that pan as I can, now that I have it! Have fun with the pancakes!

Maria said...

I love the birthday cake! Pumpkin pancakes are a great birthday choice. I love them!! They look wonderful!

Aggie said...

Ok...awesome cake!!! Happy birthday to your little girl!

And those pancakes and coffee cake? I'm totally making pumpkin pancakes this weekend! Love the sprinkles in the pancakes!!

Sophie said...

You are a sweet mom! That cake is beeeeautiful! Also, awesome idea with the sprinkles. Definitely easier than wiping up the syrup from faces and sticky fingers :), I'll have to remember that :).