Sunday, October 12, 2008

Homemade Happy Meal- Mini Sliders on Whole Wheat Buns and Oven Fries

Do you ever just want the appeal of a Happy Meal at your own home? Well, here it is. A Homemade Happy Meal that is sure to please the kid in everyone. The only thing missing is a cheap, plastic toy, but this meal is so good, the kids won't even notice.

I have made Prudy's Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns before, (Here with sloppy joes and Here on her site), so I didn't include the recipe in this post.

Please make these buns. They are so easy and so good. They are great to eat plain, with jam, or with anything in between. I doubled the recipe and we have been eating all kinds of sandwiches on these things. They are wonderful and so easy! I promise if you make them once, you will start doing it weekly like me. Thank you Prudy!

These sliders are super simple as well. I always use ground turkey and for these instead of the super lean ground turkey breast, I use the 93% lean, which is still healthy but keeps this little guys nice and moist. I keep the seasoning minimal, but a few dashes of flavor. You can make them cheeseburgers or not, all I know is that they were very popular.

I also made oven fries, which are so easy and you can season them however you want. I always make 2 pans, because I like the added spicyness of grill seasoning, but my kids like them with salt and a little pepper. The trick is to cook them long enough at a high heat to get them nice and golden.

This was a super fun and delicious meal! I hope you give it a try!







Mini Sliders on Whole Wheat Buns by Mary Ann

1-20 oz pkg. 93% lean ground turkey
1-2 Tbls worcestershire sauce
1-2 Tbls Grill Seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
lettuce
cheddar or provolone cheese, for those who want cheeseburgers
ketchup, mustard and other condiments

Make the rolls earlier in the day. They need to rise for a total of about 2 hours, so plan accordingly. They come together really quickly-seriously, it is a super simple recipe.
Mix ground turkey, worcestershire sauce, grill seasoning, and onion powder in a large bowl with your hands. Make sure the seasonings are mixed in evenly to the meat. Divide the meat into 16 equal balls. The easiest way to do this, is to divide it in half, then in half again and then each quarter into 4 parts.
In an electric skillet, heat 1 Tbls olive oil- spreading it with a brush or paper towel to cover the entire surface. When oil is warm, smoosh each ball of meat mixture into a patty, thin enough that it will cook thoroughly without drying out. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side. You will have to do this in two batches. If cheeseburgers are desired, add a thin slice of cheese once you turn the patty over. Remove patties to a plate lined with a paper towel.
Slice open a mini-bun and put a patty on top. Garnish with lettuce and whatever condiments you desire.

Oven Fries by Mary Ann
2 large baking potatoes, cut in half and then cut into thin slices
2 red potatoes, cut in slices or wedges
Grill Seasoning
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place your cut potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tbls. olive oil and season with grill seasoning, salt and pepper. (Go easy on the grill seasoning if your kids don't like 'em spicy). Combine potatoes, oil and seasonings with your fingers, so all the potatoes are evenly coated. Arrange the potatoes in an even layer, leaving a little space between so they cook faster.
Bake for 15 minutes and then remove tray and turn them over and shuffle them around. Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes, until cooked through and golden.

7 comments:

Ralonda said...

Looks yummy... and fun!

Prudy said...

Oh that looks so darn good. We love burgers and fries-and mini makes it better. I need to make those buns again. We usually eat the first round with butter and jam and then eat them again for dinner. I'm so glad you love them!

Cathy said...

Okay, you and Prudy have officially sold me on the buns! I have a bizarre fear of baking yeast breads, just because I've had mixed luck in the past, but it's time to bite the bullet and try again. This whole meal sounds wonderful, and so kid friendly as well. Can't wait to try it!

Mary Ann said...

Cathy, I have to admit that yeast has frightened me too, but Prudy's recipe is fool proof, I am sure of it. If you make them you won't be sorry and it will become a weekly ritual. They are just that good.

Andrew said...

Oh these were very good! i loved the bread part!

Anonymous said...

Love sliders! So fun to eat.

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness Mary Ann, this is the coolest post. I love those mini sliders! YUM!