Saturday, October 25, 2008

Minestrone and Easy Breadsticks


This meal is a definite family favorite. My mom used to make it when I was growing up and I even remember requesting it as my birthday dinner as a teen. We made the breadsticks twice in the past week. The pictures above are with half whole wheat flour and the ones below are with no wheat flour. They taste great both ways. This soup is pretty easy and very comforting. It does take a little time, but if you plan ahead, your house will smell great. Perfect for a chilly weekend!


Minestrone
3/4 pd mild pork sausage
4 cups water
2 beef bouilllon cubes
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium celery ribs, diced
1- 16 oz can tomatoes, pureed
2- 8 oz cans tomato sauce
2 tsps crushed dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp crushed dried basil
1/2 tsp crushed dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
garlic salt to taste
1-15 oz can garbanzo beans
1-8 oz can cut green beans, undrained
2/3 cup uncooked wide noodles or other pasta
Brown pork sausage in a dutch oven; drain. Dissolve bouillon cubes in water. Add onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, and seasonings. Simmer, covered, for 4 to 6 hours. Thirty minutes before serving time, add beans and noodles. Simmer until noodles are tender. Makes 8 servings.

Easy Breadsticks
1 Tbls active dry yeast
1 Tbls honey
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, stirred and measured (you can use half whole wheat)

In a large mixing bowl, soften yeast and honey in warm water; allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir in salt. Gradually add flour, blending with a wooden spoon until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl to form a ball. Divide dough in to 12 pieces. Roll each piece between hands and make sticks about 10 or 12 inches long. Place on greased cookie sheets. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with desired seasonings- poppy, sesame or caraway seeds, Parmesan cheese, crushed dried parsley, or garlic salt. Allow to rise 10 to 15 minutes, if desired, not necessary. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

Coming Tomorrow- Late Barefoot Blogger's Root Vegetable Pot Pie with a Phyllo Crust

12 comments:

Steph said...

Those breadsticks look delicious and perfect with soup! I've never baked with whole wheat flour before.. could you really tell a big difference? I'm always afraid that if I use whole wheat flour, the baked good might turn out a little too dense and chewy.

Mary Ann said...

Steph- There was a bit of a difference, but when you sub half whole wheat flour, it doesn't change the texture too much. If you want to experiment with it, you could try subbing out 1/4 of the flour with whole wheat and see what you think. I think that you can sub 1/2 of the flour with whole wheat flour in almost anything and it doesn't make it too dense or chewy. That is my opinion though.

Alexa said...

What a great, comforting meal! I could use some of that today. Can I come over and eat your leftovers?

Mary Ann said...

Alexa- come over anytime! Even if we don't have leftovers, I Would love to have you!

priscilla joy said...

what delicious looking breadsticks!! yummy! that and your soup looks great for dinner on a chilly evening.

Maria said...

love the breadsticks can't wait to make them!

Pamela said...

The soup and the breadsticks look delicious. And perfect for the damp and chilly and wet day we have going on outside right now!

Sarah said...

Looks great...I love soup weather! And glad you liked the pancakes!

Aggie said...

I have to try those breadsticks...my kids love eating breadsticks at dinner. Love the soup!

PheMom said...

I can see those breadsticks in my future! Yum!

Sophie said...

Wow! Now here's a soup I haven't made in awhile...but even when I made it in the past, in never looked this good. And boy oh boy are those breadsticks making me miss gluten :). Delicious!

Prudy said...

Oh my lovely dinner! What could be better? I made breadsticks a couple of weeks ago and slathered them with butter and garlic and then brought them to YW. They get so many sweets, I thought they would appreciate a Sunday savory treat. We all smelled like garlic but they were happy. I love your recipes. What about that pizza contest????