Friday, October 17, 2008

Vegetarian Pad Thai

I saw that Clara made this on I heart food 4 thought (she used shrimp) and since I have been wanting to make Pad Thai at home and also because it had tofu in it (Love tofu)- I decided to give it a go. Quick, easy, totally delicious. It was wonderful. Even the non-tofu lovers really liked this dish. The flavors were delicate and it was really simple to make. Perfect for a weeknight!

Vegetarian Pad Thai from Cooking Light
2/3 cup chili sauce (such as Heinz)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon chopped seeded serrano chile
1/2 pound wide rice stick noodles (bánh pho)
4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
1 (12.3-ounce) package extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
3/4 cup diagonally cut green onions
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
1/3 cup coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
6 lime wedges
Combine first 6 ingredients; set aside.
Cook noodles in boiling water 5 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan.
Combine egg whites and egg, stirring well with a whisk.
Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and sauté for 10 seconds. Add egg mixture, and cook for 30 seconds or until soft-scrambled, stirring constantly. Stir in chili sauce mixture and noodles; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tofu, bean sprouts, onions, and 1/4 cup cilantro, and cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup cilantro and peanuts evenly over each serving of noodle mixture. Serve with lime wedges.
Coming Tomorrow: A Triple Threat of Treats- Chocolate Key-Lime Cupcake Pies, Gale Gand's Butterballs and Mini Phyllo Tarts, 3 Ways.

9 comments:

Cathy said...

This looks great! I haven't tried to make Thai at home, but this looks like a good one to try first. Perfect for a weeknight -- I need more of those!

CB said...

One of my favorite CL recipes so far! Looking at your pictures makes me crave it now. I think I know what I am making for dinner ;) Glad you liked it too!
/Clara

Ralonda said...

Love Pad Tai! Will have to give it a try.
Great pics!

The Blonde Duck said...

Man, you try stuff I wouldn't attempt in a million years! How brave!

Maria said...

I love pad thai, thanks for the veggie version!!

Jenny said...

YUM! I love pad thai, but am too nervous to make my own version. Yours looks totally do-able and delish! Have a great day!

Mary Ann said...

Cathy- this was so easy and it was fast!

Clara, I just ate the leftovers for lunch and got in trouble for eating it all!

Ralonda, Thanks for coming by. Let me know if you like it!

Blonde Duck, we are a little strange around here, but I am telling you, even the meat and potato lovers enjoyed this dish!

Maria- I love this veggie version. I love any excuse to use tofu.

Jenny, I was kinda scared but after seeing great reviews I figured it had to be doable. Hope you try it!

Alexa said...

Homemade veggie pad thai... Delicious. I'll be trying this recipe really soon. It sounds great and perfect for us since my kids and husband are not big on shrimp.

Prudy said...

I'm dying for that triple threat. Now I've got to make the pad thai. If you and Clara both love it, that's praise enough.