Sunday, October 26, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers- Root Vegetable Pot Pie with a Phyllo Crust

Deb of Kahakai Kitchen chose this week's Barefoot Bloggers recipe. I am a few days late in posting, but at least I got it in, right?
I am going to have to talk to Ina Garten. She just makes her savory dinner recipes too rich. I have said it before and I will say it again- there is no way I am going to use 12 Tbls of butter to saute onions for the base of a dish. I save my butter and cream for dessert. So, this Pot Pie is quite different than the original, but it was really tasty.
I omitted all the butter and replaced it with 2 Tbls of olive oil. I omitted the fennel, well, I basically just redid the recipe. Asparagus isn't in season, none of the grocery stores had pearl onions- so I decided to go with turnips and parsnips instead. I love roasted carrots and those 2 aforementioned veggies with rosemary, so that is where this recipe got it's new look. I kept the squash because I am a fan of it and the potatoes too. I topped it with phyllo to keep it light and it tasted wonderful. I will make this again- my way, so that I can enjoy whatever goodie I am baking. Delish!




Root Vegetable Pot Pie with Phyllo Crust heavily adapted from The Barefoot Contessa
2 Tbls olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups good chicken stock
2 Tbls dried parsley
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
splash of heavy cream
1 1/2 cups large-diced potatoes
2 carrots, peeled and cubed
2 parsnips, peeled and cubed
2 turnips, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups peeled, 3/4-inch-diced butternut squash
8 sheets phyllo dough
cooking spray
Heat the oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 8-10 minutes . Add the flour, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Slowly add the stock, parsley, and rosemary, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the heavy cream and season to taste. The sauce should be highly seasoned.
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Lift out with a sieve. Add the carrots, parsnips, turnips, and squash to the pot and cook in the boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain well.
Add the potatoes, and mixed vegetables to the sauce and mix well.
Spray an 11x7-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Transfer the vegetable/sauce mixture to the prepared dish.

Place 2 sheets of phyllo on a cutting board and spray heavily with cooking spray. Layer 2 more sheets on top and spray with cooking spray. Repeat until all phyllo is used. Carefully place phyllo sheets on top of vegetable mixture and gently press down around the edges.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until phyllo is crisp and golden.
Up Tomorrow- Thai Peanut Noodles with Tofu and Edamame

5 comments:

Suzie said...

Clever you - your variations look lovely. I also cut back heavily on the butter.

Steph said...

12 tablespoons to saute onions!?!? I always knew she loved butter (maybe more than Paula..hahah) but even in dinner dishes? I don't think I would be even to eat a dish that rich. I like your changes and the dish looks delicious!

Cathy said...

I LOVE your lightened up version! I am 100% behind your butter philosophy, sister! I mean, 12 tablespoons to saute an onion? That hurts to think about! The phyllo is such a fantastic idea -- I will definitely be trying out your version next time I get a pot pie craving!!

Prudy said...

Turnips and parsnips with a phyllo crust sound just heavenly. Why doesn't Ina hire you to make a yummy variation on her cookbook? I'm still looking for your pizza news....

Anonymous said...

What is the baking temperature?