Friday, October 3, 2008

Trisha Yearwoods Chicken Spinach Lasagna Casserole

I saw this in a magazine recently and thought it looked like a quick and easy twist on lasagna. I changed the recipe quite a bit to make it healthier. I used greek yogurt instead of sour cream, queso fresco cheese in place of cheddar, fat free mayo, healthy request cream of mushroom soup, fresh mushrooms instead of canned, and added an extra layer of fresh spinach. I also reduced the amount of pecans and parmesan cheese by half.
This was a delicious, comforting dinner and really easy to throw together. A winning combination in my book! Chicken Spinach Lasagna Casserole by Trisha Yearwood, featured in Redbook Magazine
1 10-oz pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and drained

2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
8 oz queso fresco cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbls soy sauce
1- 10-oz can healthy request cream of mushroom soup
1 cup greek yogurt
3/4 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped (I used portobellos)
1/3 cup fat free mayo
3 oz fresh baby spinach
9 lasagna noodles, cooked
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degree F.

In a large bowl, combine frozen spinach, chicken,queso fresco, onion, cornstarch, salt, pepper, soy sauce, soup, greek yogurt, mushrooms, and mayo. Put a layer of noodles in the bottom of a greased 9x13-inch lasagna pan. Spread half the cheese/chicken mixture over the noodles. Layer half of the fresh spinach on top of the cheese/chicken mixture Place another layer of noodles on top and cover with the remaining chicken/cheese mixture. Layer remaining fresh spinach on top and finish with another layer of noodles. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese , then pecans on top and bake for 1 hour.

10 comments:

Prudy said...

That does look yummy. I love all the lightened up changes you made.

Alexa said...

Lovely makeover. This looks like a great dish!

Aggie said...

We read the same magazines Mary Ann! I tore this out recently and have been wanting to make it! Yours looks delicious!

Maria said...

I am usually not big on casseroles, but this one actually looks tasty! I love how you lightened it up too! Have a nice and relaxing weekend:)

The Blonde Duck said...

I think I'd have a heart attack without the lightened changes. Thanks for doing that! It looks great!

Jenny said...

Mmmm, I love lasagna. Looks like Mrs Yearwood and I think alike with lasagna. I'll have to give hers a try. Have a great weekend!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love lightening up a good recipe. Lasagna is a family favorite too.

Cathy said...

This looks wonderful! I love your lightened changes, and assume that it can be made ahead and would freeze well. I will definitely be trying this one!

dcyrill said...

I made this dish and my hubby loved it. He is requesting that I make it often.

Anonymous said...

We make this often, but I typically reduce the Greek yogurt to 6 oz (the single serving size) and add some cottage cheese (we always have that on hand). My family loves it! I've made both the original version and this version, and the differences aren't detectable.