Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Roasted Beets with Feta, Sunflower Seeds,and Spinach

I remember seeing this post featuring red and golden beets on one of my favorite blogs- The Food Librarian. I have linked to Mary's blog a million times because she always makes such delicious food.

I grew up eating red beets and the greens, but had never tried golden beets before and actually hadn't seen them anywhere, until just the other day.
Of course, I bought them and went home and immediately roasted them. I washed the beets, wrapped them in foil (separately- so the red beets wouldn't bleed too much) and roasted them at 400 degrees for about an hour. I checked them at that point with a fork and they were tender, so I took them out.
I let them cool for a couple of minutes and then peeled them. The skin comes right off. I sliced them and tasted a golden beet for the first time. Delicious! Beets really do taste like candy, in my opinion.

Later we had them with dinner on top of a bed of spinach, sprinkled with feta and sunflower seeds. I was going to dress this salad with balsamic or red wine vinegar and olive oil, but it really tasted great with just these few components, so we ate it this way.
Absolutely delicious. I think golden beets are a little bit milder in flavor than red ones, but they are both really yummy.
I know I say this all the time, but I think I have a new favorite food.

Basic How-to for Roasting Beets

One Year Ago-Dorie's Biscotti

8 comments:

Maria said...

Glad you like beets now! They are gorgeous in this salad

Shelby said...

I SO love beets. I actually made my first pickled beets this year. Beautiful salad!

Kayte said...

Art on a plate, that looks wonderful! I am going to see if I can find golden ones as I have never had those before. Thanks for providing the recipe for me to give it a try.

The Food Librarian said...

Oh, your salad looks so delicious! And I'm so glad you found golden beets!!! Yum! - mary

Anonymous said...

that salad looks light and refreshing : )

Kerstin said...

I'm a big fan of roasted beets too, but have never come across the golden ones yet, so I'll have to look for them! Your salad is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It looks so colorful and gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I've never had beets either! Clearly I need to give them a shot. Veggies that taste like candy? Sign me up!