Saturday, October 31, 2009

Easy Pumpkin Ice Cream

Happy Halloween!
I love pumpkin anything. One of my favorite things is pumpkin ice cream.
I saw a really easy, non-custard recipe for pumpkin ice cream on Simply Recipes and decided I wanted to make it.
I bookmarked the recipe and when I was ready to make it, I went back to the link and it was gone!
I remembered the recipe in my mind and decided to make it anyway.
It was really easy- just 4 ingredients, that you mix up, chill and churn.
I remember the recipe said it was best served the day it was churned.
I let it set up in the freezer for a couple of hours and then let my kids try it. They really liked it-we sprinkled some chocolate chips on top.
I tried a bite and thought it was a little bit too creamy (Wierd, but that's what I thought).
I think it would taste better as a layer to a chilled pie maybe, with a gingersnap crust.
We enjoyed it and it was fun to make!
Easy Pumpkin Ice Cream as remembered from Simply Recipes
1-15 oz can pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling, about 1 3/4 cups
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbls pumpkin pie spice

Combine all ingredients in food processor until smooth. Chill mixture until cold and transfer to ice cream maker. Churn according to ice cream maker directions. Freeze for a few hours until firm.
This ice cream is best enjoyed the day it is made.

10 comments:

Meghan said...

Your pumpkin ice cream looks sooo good! The color turned out perfect! I'm planning on getting an ice cream maker attachment for my mixer and have been looking for non-custard recipes - thanks!

Audrey and the Boys said...

Oh my!! That looks to tasty! I just had some pumpkin gelato with Lar while she was here! Yum!

Pamela said...

Oh, yeah...gingersnap crust and this on top? Heaven.

Cathy said...

Oooh! I can't wait to make this! I am (shocked!) feeling like I need a baked pumpkin break, since I've been baking pumpkin things a few times a week, but PUMPKIN ICE CREAM is a totally different situation! I think I will make this tonight, in fact . . .

Kerstin said...

I'm a huge pumpkin fan too and this looks so delicious and easy!

Delicious Dishings said...

This is why I need an ice cream maker! Looks phenomenal. I like the chocolate chip idea. I think I'd definitely add chocolate flecks to the mix.

Unknown said...

YUM!!!! I desperately want to make this!!

Anonymous said...

Very easy. I'm going to have to try it.

Unknown said...

Yum, that looks great! I made pumpkin ice cream last year but I can't remember what recipe I used and I'm not sure I blogged about it. This one looks so easy I'll probably give it a shot!

nolamama said...

This did not work out so well for us. It tasted of raw pumpkin and had a really heavy mouth feel. I ended up melting it down, added about 1 c. milk, cooked it in a saucepan for about 15 minutes, stirred in cornstarch to thicken it and called it pudding. Served with whipped cream...it was a big hit.