Tuesday, October 13, 2009

TWD- Allspice Crumb Muffins

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, Allspice Crumb Muffins, is brought to us by Kayte who blogs over at Grandma's Kitchen Table.
You can find this recipe on her blog, as well as lots of other tasty treats and dishes. Kayte participates in lots of cooking/baking groups and feeds teenagers, so you always know you can find something delicious cooking in her kitchen!
These muffins were really easy to mix together and they smelled absolutely wonderful. I made a 1/2 recipe and cooked them in my jumbo muffin tin. I got 4 very large muffins- Dorie's muffin and cupcake recipes always seem to yield a lot of batter for me.
I had read that some people were have trouble with the "crumb" part of this muffin being too melty and buttery, so I reduced the amount of butter by 1/2 Tbls for my 1/2 recipe (that would be 1 Tbls if making the full recipe).
I made sure to follow Dorie's instructions to press the crumb mixture into the muffin batter and I didn't have any problems with my crumbs falling off or being too buttery. They turned out great.
I also replaced 2 Tbls of butter in the muffin batter with 2 Tbls fat-free greek yogurt (for 1/2 recipe, that would be 4 Tbls if making full recipe).

I was quite surprised that my husband really liked these. I gave him one when he was walking out the door to go to work, straight out of the oven and texted him later asking him what he thought and he said that he really, really enjoyed them.

My girls loved them. I gave them each 1/2 of a super-sized jumbo muffin and I'm not sure how much of the muffin they ate because the floor was covered with tons of crumbs, so they live up to their names. Ha ha. That is my attempt at a lame joke for the day. I really was thinking they should be called "crumbs" muffins when I saw the mess they had made.

Overall, I think that these muffins had great flavor and were exactly what you would expect from a tasty muffin. The lemon zest really complimented the allspice and overall flavor of these muffins.

Go check out the TWD Bakers Blogroll to see how the other Bakers fared this week!
One Year Ago-Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes

24 comments:

Meghan said...

These muffins look great! I have been wanting to make a fall-tasting muffin lately, so I'm glad to see these. That's cute about your girls and the crumbs - although I'm sure it wasn't as cute to have to clean them up! :)

Hindy said...

Next time I bake anything I'm going to try replacing some of the butter with yogurt. Sounds delicious and I found these a bit too buttery.
Lovely photos!

Soy*Baby said...

Your crumb topping is perfect. Great idea on replacing the butter with yogurt. I'll have to try that. I thought these were a tiny bit greasy. Glad your family loved them.

Pamela said...

That lame joke wasn't lame at all! Very cute. They were crumby and very tasty. I loved the lemon in these. And although I did have some problems with the topping, I am looking forward to trying these again!

Bella Baker said...

wow, I love how your muffins look - so fluffy!! Looks like your cumb topping came out perfectly!

chocolatechic said...

Beautiful muffins.

Mine were so ugly, but oh. so. tasty!

Eliana said...

these look awesome Mary Ann.

~~louise~~ said...

I LOVE crumb anything!!! I've had such a yearning for home made crumb cake. Thinking perhaps, the next time the craving hits, I'll whip up a batch of these.

Thanks for sharing, Mary Ann. Uh oh, I feel it coming on again...

Anne said...

Good tip on the butter in the topping. I'll try that next time. Great job Mare!

Susan said...

Your muffins look amazing. I really wanted to try this recipe. Guess I will have to put it on my list of things to do when I get back to the states. :)

TeaLady said...

These were pretty tasty. Definitely a repeat. Yours look delicious.

love the red plate on the chintz.

Kayte said...

Oh, that topping looks perfect! And the side view of the muffin also...absolutely perfect. Jumbo, huh? Am thinking with these guys around here, maybe I should be going into the Jumbo mode more often. Thanks for baking with me this week...always fun to bake/cook with you...Twittering wouldn't be the same without you there. Your muffins look great. Loved the "crumbs" part! I was thinking they would be kid friendly, but didn't consider the crumb part being not-so-kid friendly for Mom!

Heather B said...

I wish I would have used my jumbo muffin pan now. Totally forgot about it! Your muffins turned out great!

Paula said...

Love your modifications. Making note in my cookbook right now.

Babette said...

NIce restrained muffin tin filling (I overfilled). These were really a treat, right?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad they were a hit with the family. Your muffins look great!

cheap said...

Muffins looks great ...

Unknown said...

mmmm- can i put a goodie box list in? :D heehee-
miss you. Had a dream about you last night. It was good to "see" you.

Jeannette said...

My fiance surprisingly liked these too! He hates muffins so that says a lot about the flavor.

beautiful muffins, by the way.

Unknown said...

oh yum!!!! That looks delish!!!

betty geek said...

Wow yours look picture perfect. Dorie should have used your muffins for her book! HA!

Anonymous said...

They look great! I used some yogurt and a little less butter in the topping, and I thought they turned out really good. My husband loved these too which kind of surprised me.

Sarah said...

Beautiful muffins! Your crumbs are absolutely perfect! I'll have to try the yogurt sub some time, great idea.

limo hire said...

Feel hunger....looks pretty.