Monday, October 12, 2009

Sauteed Rainbow Chard and Beet Greens

Do you love dark greens as much as I do?
I think I could eat them for every meal and be happy. Kale, Swiss Chard, Spinach, Beet Greens, etc. I love them all.
My grandpa grew beets growing up and what I remember most isn't the actual beets. It was eating the dark, leafy greens and the purple-y ribs. My mom would steam them and they were delicious.
I know a lot of people throw away the greens on top of their beets- The Horror! Don't do it! They are soo delicious.

I found some beautiful rainbow chard, as well as red and golden beets. I was so excited to saute them for dinner!

When I cook swiss chard and beet greens I always cook the ribs and stems. They become quite tender and are very tasty.

Plus, how can you not like eating something that tastes good and looks so beautiful?
I also use this techique to saute spinach, but I don't cover it because it wilts very quickly.
I saute kale too, but always remove the kale from the stems.

Sauteed Rainbow Chard and Beet Greens by Mary Ann
1 Tbls olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch Rainbow Chard, rinsed well and chopped- including stems and ribs
a couple bunches Beet Greens, rinsed and chopped-including stems and ribs
chicken or vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in large saute pan or electric frying pan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and cook for a few minutes.
Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
When onion and garlic are translucent, add your greens and stems.
Using tongs, toss the greens with the onions and garlic, until nicely mixed.
Add enough chicken broth to cover bottom of the pan and cover.
Reduce heat to medium and let greens cook for about 5 minutes.
Stir and check to see if stems and ribs are tender and greens are wilted.
If not, cook a little longer and check every few minutes until ready.
Make sure you do not over cook.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.


One Year Ago-Homemade Happy Meal-Mini Sliders on Whole Wheat Buns and Oven Fries

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Chard is great! Not enough people give chard and kale a chance. You have posted the perfect recipe- simple and tasty. I use the chard stems too- they add so much color.

Chef Jeena said...

Lovely healthy dish Mary Ann. :-)

Eliana said...

These greens look amazing Mary Ann.

Anonymous said...

I will make and eat greens this year. I will. I will. I've been a little bit scared...you make them look delicious.

Anonymous said...

I made this for supper today. It was fantastic! Flavorful and delicious, it will be a repeat for sure in my house. Thanks cheers.

Anonymous said...

This recipe was easy and tasted great. Big hit at my house. Thanks!

Anita said...

Some suggestions for using Swiss Chard, Beet Greens, etc.

I have added fresh sautéed mushrooms (Any variety), and served over a bed of pasta.sprinkled Parm cheese or added any blue grained cheese. for a complete & satisfying light dinner. ...
Try pureeing chard, onions etc. and adding a 10 0z can of chicken soup ( or homemade)...soup freezes well for use in winter. ,
Add to basic quiche recipe.
Chard is one of most versatile veg. ...will enhance almost any "stir fry " & it is actually good for you!

DaJoy said...

This was simple, fast, and tasted good. I could add this broth and all as a topping to pasta as well. I used caramelized onions I had in the fridge.