Thursday, March 19, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers-Chicken Piccata and Bonus- Sauteed Broccolini and Craving Ellie- Greek Style-Stuffed Peppers

I feel really lame. I chose the Barefoot Bloggers Bonus recipe for this week, Sauteed Broccolini and I couldn't find any broccolini anywhere! I really searched. I went to every grocery store available to me in my small town and then drove 45 minutes and checked out other grocery store possibilities. I am so disappointed that I didn't find any. I am going to keep checking and make this recipe as soon as possible. I am going to post the recipe anyway because I want to.
I did get to the Chicken Piccata that Lindsey of Noodle Nights and Muffin Mornings chose for last week and it was really good. Super easy too. I used thin-sliced chicken which meant I didn't have to pound it, making it all that much easier. The sauce was a little bit tangy-I think I used a little too much lemon juice, but we all really liked it.

I made the Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers chosen by The Healthy Hostess for Craving Ellie a couple of months ago, just because I thought they sounded interesting. You can get the recipe on from this POST, The Healthy Hostess, or from this LINK. I made a couple of changes when I made them. I used ground turkey breast instead of ground beef and added a can of drained cannellini beans. They were really good and great-tasting as leftovers. Check out what the other Ellie's thought by checking out the Craving Ellie blogroll.

Sauteed Broccolini 2005 Ina Garten
Directions
1 bunch broccolini
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 lemon, zested
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Blanch the broccolini in a large pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain immediately and immerse in a bowl of ice water.
Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add the lemon zest and garlic and stir. Drain the broccolini and add it to the garlic mixture and heat for 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper, and toss well before serving
Chicken Piccata 2007, Ina Garten
Ingredients
2 split (1 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 extra-large egg
1/2 tablespoon water
3/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
Good olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons), lemon halves reserved
1/2 cup dry white wine
Sliced lemon, for serving
Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
Mix the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a shallow plate. In a second plate, beat the egg and 1/2 tablespoon of water together. Place the bread crumbs on a third plate. Dip each chicken breast first in the flour, shake off the excess, and then dip in the egg and bread crumb mixtures.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place them on the sheet pan and allow them to bake for 5 to 10 minutes while you make the sauce.
For the sauce, wipe out the saute pan with a dry paper towel. Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and then add the lemon juice, wine, the reserved lemon halves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and swirl to combine. Discard the lemon halves and serve 1 chicken breast on each plate. Spoon on the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.

Coming Tomorrow- The Cake Slice- Triple Lemon Chiffon Cake


21 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

I know you must get tired of hearing it (your pictures are so yummy!) but those all look positively delicious!! You GO girl!

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to make the broccolini. I want to thank you for choosing such a wonderful recipe. It was absolutely delicious!!!!

Your pictures look amazing, as always!!!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Everything looks so delicious! I feel your pain, it's so hard to grocery shop here, no broccolini or broccoli rabe. Yoru photos are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It all sounds good

Anonymous said...

Last night, Sara made some talapia fillets with a broccolini side which was very similar to the recipe you posted with the exception of using my homemade roasted garlic and basil infused olive oil instead of butter. It was fantastic.

GL on the hunt for broccolini, I am sure you will be well rewarded (eventually) for your trouble!

Steph said...

Mare, you always make food look delicious. I love how you can makes hard to capture food look great. I can't wait for the lemon chiffon tmr!

Not Another Omnivore said...

Stuffed peppers are delicious, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the next post!

NAOmni

Maria said...

Love stuffed peppers, gotta love Utah and their lack of produce..ha! Actually I have been finding some good stuff at Sunflower. I hope it gets better as spring and summer arrive. Can't wait for the lemon cake!

Peggy said...

I must have missed seeing that we were supposed to make broccolini on BB? I thought i was up to date on that one with the piccata. I loved these peppers! I also loved the piccata. Glad you liked them as well.

Leslie said...

I managed to find broccolini at my Trader Joe's. Does that mean I've made it yet? No! I wish I could mail it to you. Your chicken and peppers look delicious! We loved the piccata and the peppers were good too.

Aggie said...

I wish I made the peppers but wasn't prepared for it this week...they sound delicious! Everything looks great!

Anonymous said...

I love stuffed peppers and the Greek-style ones sound delicious.

Jennifer said...

Your stuffed peppers look great! I hate that mine did not turn out. I am glad that others had more success with this recipe than I did.

Pamela said...

Yum...look at all of the feta on your peppers! I am looking forward to having these as left overs. And the chicken looks fabulous, too. I really need to try that one.

Jennifer said...

I loved the sauteed broccolini. Good pick!

Deb in Hawaii said...

It was a bit hard to find here--finally at Whole Foods. Hopoefully you'll get your hands on some so you can try it too. It was very flavorful. Your chicken and Ellie's peppers both look amazing.

The Blonde Duck said...

You're not lame. The grocery store is lame.

Sophie said...

Ever time I come by here, I wish I could eat dinner at your house! Seriously, you have one blessed and well-fed family :). You do the sweet and savory foods beautifully!

Summer said...

thanks for choosing the broccolini! I hope you find some soon. It was delish!

Cathy said...

Bummer you couldn't find the broccolini!! Your other dishes look great! I am going to use thin slices chicken next time I make the piccata -- I pounded and pounded my monster chicken breasts and couldn't get them thin enough. Love the changes you made to the peppers -- I want to make mine with ground turkey next time.

Anonymous said...

Your peppers look great! The pictures are so crisp and delicious