Friday, March 6, 2009

Steel-Cut Oat Risotto with Chicken

I don't know why I used to think that risotto was difficult. I guess because it sounds complicated or sophisticated? Well, I know the truth and I am in love with it. I really like the creaminess that this technique produces. I really love how you can use almost any grain in risotto and it turns out great.
Steel-cut oats are the the best kind of oats out there, health-wise. They do take longer to prepare, but they are really good for you. Oats in any form are good for you, but steel-cut oats have the best nutritional value.
I didn't tell anyone that we were eating oats for dinner because I didn't know if it would be wierd since they are usually a breakfast food that you eat with fruit and cinnamon. Once we were eating, someone asked and they seemed surprised that this savory dish was oats. I didn't use Manchego cheese since it is very expensive (I have used it before) and I couldn't find it anywhere. I just substituted Parmesan.
Look for steel-cut oats. They are worth the time and are a very versatile grain (as you will see tomorrow). This was a delicious dinner!
Steel-Cut Oat Risotto with Chicken, Red Peppers, and Manchego from Cooking Light
Steel-cut oats are whole-oat groats that have been cut into pieces to cook quickly. Find them on the cereal aisle in the supermarket labeled "steel-cut Irish oatmeal."
Do not substitute quick-cooking Irish oatmeal or American-style rolled oats.
2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/4 cups steel-cut oats
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used more chicken broth instead)
1 cup chopped cooked dark meat chicken (I used cooked, chopped chicken breast)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Manchego cheese (I used grated parmesan)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt

Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm.
Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and pepper; sauté 5 minutes.
Add oats; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 2 minutes or until nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes). Stir in chicken, cheese, rosemary, and salt.

Coming Tomorrow- Oats and Buttermilk Snack Cake

9 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Mary Ann, I was really looking forward to seeing this recipe and I'm not disappointed! It looks delicious!!! (and healthy!)

Maria said...

Love fresh rosemary! I haven't made risotto in awhile, I want to try this version. Love the big sprig of rosemary in the photos!

Steph said...

Looks fabulous! I wish I could try your healthy recipes, they all look so good.

Anonymous said...

I've made risotto many times, but I've never seen it with rolled oats! It looks so interesting!! I'm definately going to give this a try. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I love cooking things risotto-style. I've never made oats this way, but it makes sense. Sounds delicious!

Cathy said...

This looks great! I made Ina's butternut squash risotto tonight so I've got risotto on the brain! I've never made it with steel cut oats, though (okay, I admit it -- I've never heard of steel cut oats!) But you've convinced me - I am going to find them and try this!

Not Another Omnivore said...

Great pic, I look forward to seeing your next creation!

NAOmni

Pam said...

Awesome! I made savory oats for a brunch once, and it was old fashioned oats and it still came out all creamy like risotto. It was awesome - glad you enjoyed yours, too!

Dazy said...

I'm making this today. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!