Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal and Healthy Banana-Blueberry Muffins

I really enjoy making healthy, delicious breakfasts. It is fun to try different flavors and foods. I try to make a warm breakfast at least 3 mornings during the school week, because I just don't think cold cereal is that great. My kids aren't crazy about oatmeal, but I still serve it to them at least once a week. They really liked this pumpkin pie spiced oatmeal more than some of the other flavors I have made. It was warm and fulfilling.
Recently Shailesh contacted me and asked me if I would love to try some Green Valley Pecans. She is the co-author of PecanStoreBlog.com and she sent me 1/2 pd. of delicious pecans. Pecans just happen to be my favorite nut and I decided to sprinkle them on top of this oatmeal. Very delicious pecans. There will be more posts about these little guys.
The muffins I saw in the latest issue of Everyday Food magazine and it sounded like a fun twist on normal blueberry muffins. Of course there were overripe bananas that need to be used- does that happen to anyone else? I reduced the amount of butter originally called for and added a couple Tbls of applesauce at the end. These were dense, delicious muffins. I could add disappearing to that list of descriptive d words.
I will make the oatmeal and the muffins again.

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal by Mary Ann
3 1/4 cups water
pinch of salt
2 cups regular oats
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
pecans

Bring the water and salt to a boil. Add oats, pumpkin, and brown sugar and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in pumpkin pie spice. Top with pecans.


Healthy Banana-Blueberry Muffins from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food
Prep: 20 minutes Total: 45 minutes plus cooling
Ingredients
1 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 Tbls unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs2 ripe bananas (about 1 pound)
1/3 cup reduced-fat (2 percent) milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blueberries
3 Tbls unsweetened applesauce

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In another bowl, mash bananas with a fork (you should have 3/4 cup); stir in milk and vanilla.With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined.
Fold in frozen blueberries and applesauce.
Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 28 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; transfer muffins to a rack to cool 10 minutes more.

Coming Tomorrow- Pesto Pizza

12 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh gosh that pumpkin pie oatmeal looks so decadent and delicious and I bet it's good for you right? Oatmeal is definitely a super food! Those muffins look wonderful too! I have banana muffins in the oven right now, but I bet they aren't as delicious as yours look!

Steph said...

I know what you mean about the cold breakfasts...that's why I've sort of been eating rice pudding everyday, thanks to TWD for introducing it to me or I never would've tried it. There's nothing better than a good blueberry muffin!

Not Another Omnivore said...

Oh my goodness, this and your last post are just fabulous! I'm saving that Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal recipe for sure...it sounds right up my ally.

NAOmni

Chef Jeena said...

I was drooling looking at those picture I bet they taste amazing!

Anonymous said...

I have to buy bananas to make them deliberately over ripe for baking. I eat them too fast. I put them in everything, even my oatmeal. :)

Sophie said...

I am loving the oatmeal theme! I adore pecans. Back in Texas, we used to visit a park with pecan trees and pick 'em right after they fell from the branch; I miss those days :).

Meghan said...

I have some ripe bananas and blueberries in my freezer - these muffins will be perfect! Thanks!

Cathy said...

These both look wonderful, but I really can't wait to make the muffins! They sound so hearty and delicious!

Kirby! said...

Yum!! Pumpkin pie oatmeal sounds really tasty.

Foodiewife said...

I could just like my monitor. These are beautiful and something I need to make on weekends. I'm a breakfast lover, and I just made oatmeal pancakes...this version sounds even healthier.

Thanks!

Debby

The Food Librarian said...

Both look great! I've never had luck with blueberry muffins (I feel I'm a bit cursed) but these might get me to try again! Looks great Mary Ann!

test it comm said...

Those muffins look good!