Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cookie Carnival-Inside Out Carrot Cake Cookies and the best dish you can make with spaghetti squash or quinoa, (again)!

I have a younger brother who attends a university about 45 minutes away from where I live. Every week my parents make a trip to that city and every week they meet up with my brother for lunch. On many occasions, I send treats, cakes, snacks, or whatever I have made recently with my parents to my brother.
Well, I guess he has come to expect these goodies. This past week he called me and said, "So, what are you making me this week? a cake or something?" I had to laugh for a minute because I really didn't have anything planned, that would be ready for him. I didn't want to disappoint him, so I looked through my need-to-make/want-to-make dessert recipe stack and found this month's recipe for the Cookie Carnival- Inside Out Carrot Cake Cookies. It was fast, it was easy, and it just so happens that my brothers' favorite thing in the whole, wide world is- Carrot Cake!
Can I say that this worked out perfectly to my advantage? Yes.
I have made him carrot cake before-(HERE and HERE) and so I knew these little cookies would be just the right thing. The only difficult part was actually having some left to send to him. These little guys were good. I had to put some in a plastic container and hide them in the fridge.
The cookie batter is super easy and the frosting is just a little cream cheese (I used neufchatel- 1/3 less fat) and honey. Yummy.
His review the next day was that these cookies definitely passed the test.

And I just wanted to add, that if you can get your hands on a spaghetti squash, you should definitely try one of my favorite dishes ever-Spaghetti Squash and Quinoa Bake, which I found on Artsy-Foodie a couple of months ago. Check out Alexa's post about it HERE or my post HERE, when I made it previously.
Phew- that was a mouthful.




Coming Next- Tilapia with Quinoa and Black Beans

15 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Looks delicious as always Mary Ann!! Even the Quinoa!

Donna-FFW said...

Beautiful, they sound and look so delicious!! I love them.

The Food Librarian said...

These look so yummy!!! And so cute! I haven't made anything w quinoa but need to! Looks delicious!

Meghan said...

The little carrot cake cookies are so cute! They look delicious and probably relatively easy to pack up and send. I really want to try quinoa sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

I tried Alexa's recipe when I decided to give quinoa another try - turns out I don't like quinoa cold, but love it in hot dishes.

Thanks for the reminder to make it again!

Kerstin said...

I LOVE carrot cake - the cookies look fabulous and they are so cute!

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

I'm dying to make these cookies now. Last weekend I tried Martha Stewarts carrot sandwhich cookie recipe which look similar and they were quite the disaster. The recipe was so finiky and I didn't like the texture of the cookie. They tended to spread way too much during baking and were way too flat. What would you say the texture of your cookie is similar too? These don't sound difficult...tell me they are easy! PLEASE!

Unknown said...

ooh my, those would be gobbled up all too quickly in front of me :) that quinoa spaghetti squash sounds awesome, too!

Laura said...

I LOVE carrot cake. I'll definitely add thiese to my "to try pile"

Maria said...

Your brother is lucky to have you! The cookies look awesome!

Not Another Omnivore said...

Oh man that looks amazing!

NAOmni

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look delicious! The spaghetti squash casserole looks yummy too. Can you believe I've never had spaghetti squash?

Eliana said...

Carrot cake is my favorite cake and now I can make it into a cookies. Thanks for posting.

Karen said...

These were so good, they disappeared fast at my house, too! I really enjoyed the filling sweetened with honey.

Tami said...

Great pictures! They look delicious!