Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fried Egg and Polenta Stacks with Pesto and Spinach

This tasty lunch came about because I have been wanting to eat healthier lunches. I have been trying to get in more dark greens and I really thought this combination would be fantastic. It was. It came together really quickly too. First I sauteed the spinach and divided it between 2 plates. Then I fried 2 eggs in a very minimal amount of butter. I put one on each plate of spinach and then I sliced my polenta and warmed it in the same pan, I used for the spinach and eggs and melted a little cheese on top. Simple as can be. I topped each stack with a little dollop of pesto and enjoyed a healthy lunch and I was nice enough to share the other stack with a very lucky family member.

Fried Egg and Polenta Stacks with Pesto and Spinach by Mary Ann
serves 2
1 bag baby spinach
fresh lemon juice
garlic powder
2 eggs
2 tsp butter
1 log polenta
shredded cheese ( I used an Italian blend)
2 tsp pesto
Heat an electric skillet to medium high. Spray with cooking spray. Add spinach. Season with a little lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Saute until wilted and divide between 2 plates.
Melt the butter in the same skillet you used for the spinach and add 1 one to each spot of butter. When egg is cooked enough to turn, then turn it over and cook until the yolk is how you like it (Cooked through for me!) Season with a little pepper and place 1 fried egg on each plate of spinach.
Slice polenta into 1/2-inch slices and cook in same pan you used for the eggs. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until browned. When the polenta is on the 2nd side, sprinkle cheese on top and let it melt.
Place polenta slice on top of egg.
Top each polenta slice with a tsp or so of pesto.
Up next- Craving Ellie- Greek Stuffed Peppers and Barefoot Bloggers- Chicken Piccata

9 comments:

Maria said...

I love polenta in any form. I bet the pesto and spinach were so good with it! Great meal idea!

Unknown said...

That does look good. I only like eggs when it no longer tastes like eggs- and that may do it for me!

Not Another Omnivore said...

I have left you something on my blog!

NAOmni

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

That looks delish, I love polenta and I love eggs!

Anonymous said...

I love making eggs for lunch or dinner. This looks wonderful and not that much more complicated than scrambling eggs or making an omelet.

Cathy said...

This looks great for breakfast, lunch or dinner! I keep meaning to cook polenta more -- I love it!

Cheri said...

this looks yummy. I've never cooked with polenta. this looks easy so i think I will try it.

Peggy said...

I am fascinated by polenta but I never know how to use it in anything. Love fried eggs so I really want to try this! Sounds like a great combination.

Kerstin said...

How creative - it looks like a dish on Top Chef - yum!