Thursday, March 26, 2009

Craving Ellie in my Belly- Chicken with Mango BBQ Sauce

Today's Craving Ellie in my Belly recipe, Chicken with Mango BBQ Sauce, was chosen by Aggie over at Aggie's Kitchen. If you haven't already been to Aggie's blog, you really should go and check it out. She always serves healthy, family friendly meals and her pictures are gorgeous. I am hoping that once we relocate to Georgia, I will get a chance to meet her- she will only be a few hours drive away!
The chicken dish sounded easy enough, but I have to say, I was a little skeptical about the sauce. I love mangoes and BBQ sauce is good too, but together? I wasn't sure.
Then I started sauteing the onion, garlic, and red peppers, with some of the spices, and I knew that we were going to love the sauce.
When I pureed it and added the mango, the smell reminded me of a delicious soup.
Once you get the sauce made, you marinate the chicken for a bit and then pop it under the broiler for a short time. Luckily there is enough sauce that you get to pour more of the delicious stuff on top and you are ready to go.
I had cooked quinoa and rice in the fridge, so I gave the kids their choice and served it over the top. We also had corn on the cob and sauteed kale on the side. It made for a very pretty plate and a delicious dinner. Thanks Aggie for a great pick! I am definitely going to be making this one again.
Go check out the Craving Ellie Blogroll to see what everyone else thought!

Chicken with Mango Barbeque Sauce 2006 Ellie Krieger
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 red pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
1 mango, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 to 3 jalapenos, minced (I omitted these)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3/4 pound each)
Directions
Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the red peppers, garlic, salt and pepper, and allspice and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice and tomato sauce and cook for 1 minute more.
Transfer the mixture into a bender and add the mango and jalapeno. Blend until smooth.
Put 1 cup of the barbeque sauce into a sealable plastic bag with the chicken and marinate for 1 hour.
Preheat the broiler. Put the chicken on a broiler pan and discard the marinade. Broil the chicken on high for about 12 minutes, turning once. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Spoon about 1/2 cup of barbeque sauce over the meat slices and serve.


Up Next- Pan Seared Oatmeal with Warm Fruit Compote

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mango BBQ sauce intrigues me a lot, i'm gonna try to make this.

Marie Rayner said...

You must be sick of hearing this, but that looks delicious!! I love anything with mango. This sounds great. I am not so sure about quinoa though. I have eaten it several times, but I find the appearance of it a tiny bit revolting. I have to close my eyes.

Joanne said...

Looks great. We enjoyed it as well and used the left over BQ sauce for other things.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I love mano and BBQ sauce together and I am so glad you liked the combination. I have done this woth pork but not chicken. I can't wait to try this.

Aggie said...

Oh Mary Ann your chicken looks great! I'm so glad you guys enjoyed it...I was skeptical at first, I was expecting more of a barbequey sauce but it turned out really good!

I can't wait till you move to GA! :)

Maria said...

I love Aggie!! The mango sauce looks tasty!

Sara said...

Yum! Mango BBQ is delicious. This looks great.

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful..glad you enjoyed it. Now I am totally in the mood for some good corn on the cob. :)

Jennifer said...

I thought this recipe was fabulous! Your pictures are wonderful. Ellie should be paying you to photpgraph the food!

Cathy said...

We loved this one too! Next time, I'll probably just add one jalapeno; I think that will be plenty. Your sauce looks gorgeous -- you got it really "barbecue saucy" whereas mine was pretty salsa-y. Still delicious! This one is definitely showing up again in our house!

Anonymous said...

Your chicken looks delicious. Love how you served it. It seems like most people left out the jalapenos. Maybe I should have too.

Anonymous said...

I agree, it is a very pretty meal. The mango bbq sauce sounds delicious.

Meghan said...

The mango bbq sauce sounds delicious. I guess that's quinoa under the chicken in your picture? It's so pretty!!! Beautiful presentation!

Treehouse Chef said...

I really like mango, but have never thought of using it with chicken, that is until now.

Marthe said...

Yummie picture: your chicken looks absolutely delicious, I really nliked this one.
I have never eaten quinoa, what is it actually made of and what does it taste like?

Pamela said...

I was a little nervous about the flavor combo, too. Thankfully, it all worked out. It looks lovely on the plate.

What's for Supper? said...

I agree with the commenter that said that Ellie should be paying you to photo her recipes. Dorie too. You do such a great job.

Anonymous said...

the look of it made me hungry and take note - i have just eaten. haha

Anonymous said...

Interesting use of the kale there, I always find it a little bitter on the back-end, which now that I think about it would probably be excellent with the sweet/hot "bbq" sauce - YUM.

When you move to Georgia, I will require 2 shipments of peaches a month, shipping prepaid (by you) :)

Unknown said...

I just asked aggie about the spicyness since I don't handle spicy too well, but if you omitted it and it was still wonderful maybe I'll do that! Did you use a specific mango like champagne or anything?

Anonymous said...

That mango bbq sounds awesome!!

And I love Aggie's blog - so many great blogs, not enough time!

square kitchen said...

I love the idea of mango bbq sauce. i gonna try this...

greatings

Karen said...

That sauce sounds so delicious... how could you go wrong with mango in it!

Leslie said...

This looks wonderful, Mary Ann. I thought the sauce was even better the next day, and as someone else pointed out, it would be great over grilled fish. Love how it looks with the quinoa.