Monday, March 30, 2009

Tilapia with Quinoa and Black Beans


I found this recipe on myrecipes.com when I was searching for recipes that use quinoa. My family really likes tilapia, so we have it alot.
I really enjoy cooking with quinoa. It is so fast and we love the taste and texture.
This is a really fast dinner and very delicious. I used mostly red quinoa and added cumin to the vegetable mixture. I also used canned, diced tomatoes because I didn't have any fresh tomatoes.
I cooked the vegetable mixture a little bit longer than the recipe called for just because I was waiting on the fish.
Overall, we really liked this recipe. It was a nice twist on fish and veggies.

Tilapia with Quinoa & Black Beans adapted from Sunset Magazine
Time: 30 minutes.
1 cup quinoa
1 cup canned black beans (rinsed)
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup sliced zucchini
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tilapia fillets (about 1 lb. total)
1/3 cup sliced green onions

1.Here are the directions for cooking quinoa.
2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, cook beans and vegetables with 1 tbsp. oil, the lemon juice, paprika, and cumin, until warm, about 5 minutes. Season vegetable mixture and fish with salt and pepper.
3. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook fish in remaining 2 tbsp. oil until browned, 5 minutes. Serve fish over quinoa with vegetable mixture and onions.

Coming Tomorrow- 3 fabulous cookie recipes from Martha Stewart's Cookies

13 comments:

square kitchen said...

Hi Mare,
how are you? I am always looking for fish-recipes and I like your tilapia recipe especially with the black beans. I dont know exactly, but on Match 26 is that white beans that you use or something else? the shape seems close to the black beans.
greatings
Anja

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The fish looks fantastic! I like the quinoa and the black beans. Great presentation too!

Steph said...

I'm so happy you posted this and directions for making quinoa. I bought a small bag a while ago after seeing you and Kevin cook with it. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Maybe I'll make it my first non dessert post?

Sophie said...

I just made quinoa this weekend and I'm still not that comfortable experimenting with it, the flavor is so unique that I just can't figure out what to pair it with. These ingredients sound tasty together, I'll have to give it a whirl!

Mumsy said...

Question--is that red quinoa, or did the black beans color it? I've been looking for red quinoa.

Sophie--try combining it with other grains like barley, or bulgur wheat. I think you'll like it better. You can also pulverize it and use it like flour in cookies and other baked goods.

Mary Ann said...

twentyone-ten- Hey- I am good. Most likely if I use a white bean it is going to be cannellini beans, which are like white kidney beans.

Katherine- Thank you!

Steph- I have used quinoa with almost everything. I have combined it with barley and arborio rice and done a risotto, but I really serve it with almost anything, hot or cold.

Sophie- I was a little unsure at first too, but it really is pretty adaptable to lots of flavors.

Lindsey- I used red quinoa for this recipe. Lots of times I use red and regular and I always buy a bunch at Whole Foods. That is the only place I have looked for it and since I found it, whenever I run out, I go stock up again.

Cathy said...

Oooh, this looks great! I'm trying to cook more fish, and I love tilapia. The flavors here look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Your dinner looks delicious and healthy. I keep seeing red quinoa in the store, but haven't bought any. Does it taste different from regular quinoa or is just a color difference?

Karen said...

I just bought some quinoa and am anxious to give it a try. We like tilapia too and usually buy them and grill them whole. Yum!

Mary Ann said...

Cathy- thanks, the flavors were quite delicious.

Pinkstripes- I think red quinoa tastes the same as the other quinoa and I buy both and usually cook them together.

Kathy- grilled tilapia sounds amazing! I hope you enjoy your quinoa.

Kim said...

what a healthy meal! I don't know if it gets healthier than that. glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Wine Lover said...

Tilapia is my favorite. You made it look so yummy!

Mumsy said...

Thanks! Next time I'm up in SLC I know where to go!