Wednesday, March 25, 2009

S'mores Lava Cakes


Who doesn't love S'mores? I can't think of anyone I know, that doesn't like the combination of chocolate, marshmallow and graham crackers. This little molten chocolate cake combines the flavors that you would find in a s'more and the results are delicious.
The great thing about a little molten cake like this, is- you can whip it up in a matter of minutes and it will be done shortly after that.
I actually mixed these little cakes up, while everyone was sitting at the dinner table, finishing their dinner. They are so fast.
I also made them in a muffin tin, because that way everyone got a little cake and I felt better about indulging in a small portion.
I found this recipe in the February issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray and I think it was intended to be a Valentine's Day dessert, but when you make the portions a little bit smaller, it can be shared with everyone.
The marshmallow sauce is made by combining marshmallow creme and a little bit of heavy cream and it was perfect with the cakes.
This little dessert left most everyone at the table asking for another mini-cake, but there were only enough for everyone to enjoy 1 serving.
If you like molten chocolate cake or chocolate at all- try this very simple, elegant dessert!
S'mores Lava Cakes
Silvana Nardone
From Every Day with Rachael Ray February 2009
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
1/4 cup sugar, plus more for coating
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 large eggs plus 2 large yolks, at room temperature
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2/3 cup marshmallow cream
1 graham cracker sheet (2 squares), finely chopped (I used graham cracker crumbs)

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Grease four 6-ounce custard cups (I used a muffin tin and used 9 cavities of the pan), then coat with sugar; place on a baking sheet. In a medium bowl, microwave the butter and chocolate at medium power for 2 minutes; stir until smooth.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until foamy. Whisk in the chocolate mixture, then the flour. Fill the prepared custard cups two-thirds full with the batter. Bake until the edges are puffy, 13 to 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, microwave the heavy cream at high power for 30 seconds. Stir in the marshmallow cream until smooth.
4. Carefully invert the cakes onto plates and drizzle the marshmallow sauce on the side. Top with the graham cracker crumbs.

Coming Up Next- Craving Ellie in my Belly- Chicken with Mango BBQ Sauce

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow it looks yummy! added bonus is, it looks like it's easy to prepare. thanks!

Marie Rayner said...

These look really good and quite easy. I wish we could get the marshmallow creme over here, and graham crackers, but we can't. I may have to make my own marshmallow cream and use digestives, but I bet they are wonderful and worth a try!

~~louise~~ said...

Can a s'more look GORGEOUS? My first "trip" in the morning, coffee in hand and I'm tantalized by such "beauty."

I like the idea of using the muffin tins. Ah...someday I'll try my hand at baking again. Today, I will just dream...

Thanks for sharing, Mary Ann

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Wow, I want this for breakfast! My family would be over the moon if I made this. I am definitely bookmarking this one!

Stephanie said...

This sounds great! Yum!

Cathy said...

This looks amazing! There is something elegant about a molten cake. And they look like they should be complicated; so wonderful to hear that this easy! All of the chocolate eaters in my house will love this!!

Maria said...

Oh,wow, those look fantastic! The perfect rich dessert!

Meghan said...

Oh my these look fabulous! Molten chocolate cake is my weakness anyway, but this version sounds so good. I love that you made it in muffin-sized portions!

Anonymous said...

Who doesn't love smores? Those cakes look delicious.

gluten free pammy said...

I make these all the time, same idea different recipe,pam

Netts Nook said...

Lava Cakes like Smores works for me sounds great. Mouth watering





























































































































































































































































































































































































mores works for me what a great idea.

Sara said...

I just came across your blog and I love it! SO many recipes, SO little time. :) These cakes (and many other of your recipes) look delicious.

Kerstin said...

You can't go wrong with s'mores - these look great! I love how you made little minis!

Pamela said...

YUM!!! That looks delicious!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see this mango bbq chicken! I have a delicious mango dessert recipe I'll have to share with you.

~~louise~~ said...

Mary Ann,
I just had to "borrow" this link for Pecan Day. I hope you don't mind. I can't get your cakes off my mind!

Not Another Omnivore said...

This is just awesome looking! Really awesome.

NAOmni

Sophie said...

I didn't know these could be whipped up so quickly! Perfect family treat, I'll have to make 'em for my hubby, as he's the biggest chocolate fan I know :D.