Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Me! Homemade Pomegranate Molasses and Pomegranate Cupcakes with Tangerine Cream Cheese Frosting


Don't you just want to try a spoonful of that Pomegranate Molasses? Trust me, you do. You really, really do.
Today is my 8th Anniversary. Every year my husband and I take a special anniversary trip. We take turns planning it and surprising the other person with the location. My husband started this on our 1st anniversary, even though we had a 1-week old baby and we have gone away, at least for 1 night (when we have had small babies at home) or for a few days, every anniversary since.
I was so excited because this year was my turn to plan and we didn't have a small infant. I found a great deal on airplane tickets and planned our trip months in advance.
Needless to say, it isn't going to happen. (I won't go into all the details, but the exact dates conflicted with a work thing, etc) and a couple of weeks ago my hubby got a call from a former employer. So, today my hubby is getting in his 2-door Honda Civic and driving to Georgia, because we are moving back. It will be sad to leave family and friends here, but luckily, we have family and friends anxiously awaiting our arrival.
He took a great job and has to be there Friday morning. He was going to leave tomorrow, but I wasn't sure about him trying to make a 30-hour drive in 2 days, alone. So, the only option was for him to drive away on the morning of our anniversary. Bittersweet? maybe. But, not to worry. We will be joining him in a couple of months, after school gets out, when summer is in full swing. I can't wait for the heat and humidity! Plus, he said I can take his turn to plan next year. Hawaii- here we come! (Maybe?)
Ok, enough about all that. On to the fabulous Homemade Pomegranate Molasses. This stuff is wonderful. I was looking for a great use for all the Pomegranate juice I had (Thank you Diana, the POM Blogger). And wanted to do something besides a great drink. I had read about Pomegranate Molasses and decided this would be a great time to give it a shot. You don't really have to do much, except for watch the molasses when it gets near the syrup stage. I didn't think much of it when I tasted it at first, but after it sat in the fridge overnight, I was pretty much ready to eat it straight from the jar. Tart and sweet at the same time. There is just something about it.
I found a cupcake recipe that called for pomegranate molasses in the batter and I gave them a try. Dense and delicious. If you have pomegranate juice and want to make something fabulous, try out this molasses. I will have more recipes coming soon, that use it as a garnish and flavor booster.
Do you love the photo I scanned from my wallet? a little wear and tear, but still looking pretty good after 8 years!


Pomegranate Cupcakes from Vanilla Garlic
Makes about 12 cupcakes /
Preheat oven to 350 F
What You'll Need...
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
1 large egg yolk at room temperature
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/3-1/2 cup pomegranate molasses (taste, then add more as you see fit, this stuff is potent!)pomegranate juice
What You'll Do...
1) Beat butter until soft for about 30 seconds. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes on medium-high.
2) Add the eggs until combined
3) Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder together. Alternate mixing the dry ingredients and the milk into the butter mixture, ending with the dry ingredients. Stop when just combined.
4) Fold in the pomegranate molasses. Scoop into cupcake papers, about 3/4 full.
5) Bake undisturbed for 15 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Move to a wire rack and let cool.
6) Brush lightly with pomegranate juice and let sit.
Tangerine Mascarpone Frosting
What You'll Need...
4 ounces mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese, whatever you fancy)
1/4 cup of butter
1 tablespoon of tangerine juice, fresh squeezed
2 cups of powdered sugar
What You'll Do...
1) Let the butter and cream cheese come to room temperature. Beat them together until well combined.
2) Add the poweder sugar and then the zest. Add more powdered sugar if you want for desired thickness.
Pipe or spread onto cupcakes; you may need to let this chill first before piping.
Note:
As with all cupcakes, I highly suggest you let these sit overnight to let the flavors meld. It makes for a much tastier cupcake.
Pomegranate Molasses from Simply Recipes
Ingredients
4 cups pomegranate juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
Method
In a large, uncovered saucepan, heat pomegranate juice, sugar, and lemon juice on medium high until the sugar has dissolved and the juice simmers. Reduce heat just enough to maintain a simmer.
Simmer for about an hour, or until the juice has a syrupy consistency, and has reduced to 1 to 1 1/4 cups. Pour out into a jar.
Let cool. Store chilled in the refrigerator. If you want your pomegranate molasses to be sweeter, add more sugar to taste, while you are cooking it.

Up Next- Martha Stewart's Lime Meltaways

23 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Awww . . . so sorry you have to spend your anniversary apart! What a beautiful couple you were and are. I love the looks of these cupcakes and shall be making some pomegranate molasses soon!! Thanks so much for showing us how! Happy Anniversary anyways, and good luck on the move. Sounds like something you are really looking forward to! XXOO

~~louise~~ said...

Happy anniversary Mary Ann. Something tells me your husband will have a surprise waiting for you when you get there. You look like such a Happy couple.

My son-in-law may have to follow a job to PA while my daughter stays in Idaho for the next year or so...such are the times, I suppose...

I've been hesitant to try anything pomegranate! I'm not quite sure why...I will save your instructions just in case I should decide. Thanks for sharing...

♥ mesa para 4 said...

Great!!! Happy Birthday...always read your blog it´s great...

Maria said...

Happy Anniversary!! I love your tradition, sad your hubby is away today...and you are moving??? What?? You are leaving Utah??? At least you are moving to warm weather. Best wishes for you and your family. Maybe we can actually get together before you go. It would be fun!! The cupcakes look awesome!!

Steph said...

Happy anniversay Mare! The pomegranate molasses sounds delicious. Even though I've made more cupcakes than I could ever eat lately I would love to give this one a try. It would be nice if I could scale them down to one cupcake though, there are just way too many recipes!! Again, thanks for the link for the buttermilk cupcakes. They are very moist, but just a little too coarse. Hmm.. I'm starting to wonder if I can ever find 'the' recipe?!

Sophie said...

Happy Anniversary! So good luck on your big move to Georgia! That's great that you have friends and family there.

You're right, that pomegranate molasses looks irresistible; I love all the flavors going on in this post :).

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the South!

Making your own pomegranate molasses sounds like a great idea.

Charlotte said...

Mary Ann-
I do not share your love for cooking, but I read this blog all the time. I love the pictures, and all the fun ideas, even if I never actually make any of the recipes.

Happy Anniversary, and good luck to Matt (and the rest of you eventually) in Georgia.

Cathy said...

Happy Anniversary, Mare! What a beautiful picture of you two! Sorry you'll have to deviate from your tradition this year, but hopefully you can double the length of your trip next year. These cupcakes look great -- wow, that pomegranate molasses looks good!

The Food Librarian said...

Happy Anniversary!! What a beautiful couple! I'm happy your husband has a great job opportunity and that you get to be close to your friends again. We look forward to hearing about sweet tea and other southern comforts. Great looking pom molasses. (I just buy the molasses in my local ethnic store - wow! you made it!)

Anonymous said...

Happy, wonderful anniversary!!! Too bad you can't take your anniversary trip, but I understand the reasons--which way cool. I'm happy for your family. It sounds like a great opportunity and adventure.

And the pomegranate molasses. I've been waiting for the recipe...and then you got me with the frosting. I love, love mascarpone. YUM!

Mumsy said...

Happy Anniversary!

So, this means I have to meet you before you move!

Peggy said...

Thanks for sharing all that with us. What a great wedding photo of the two of you! Sorry you were not together this year. Happy Anniversary and many, many more!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

awww...that is bittersweet. happy anniversary---sounds like you will celebrate big-time next year! that molasses is amazing-looking! and great wedding pic!

#1SAHM said...

happy anniversary! Sorry you have to spend it apart...GL with the move!

Not Another Omnivore said...

Aw cute picture!!!

And great recipes :)

NAOmni

The Blonde Duck said...

Awww! Ya'll are the cutest couple. Happy anniversary! Have a cupcake for me. They'll magically transport your husband to you.

PheMom said...

Happy Anniversary! You can hopefully do something really fun when you are back together. And, yes, I'll take a couple spoonfuls of that molasses. Gorgeous!

PheMom said...

Oh. Wait!! Leaving Utah. Say it isn't so! I can understand though, but we will miss you. I think we are going to have to try to throw a get together before you go. Email me when you get a chance.

Stephanie said...

Happy anniversary!

Prudy said...

I love your wedding pic- you look so gorgeous and sweet and everything a hopeful young bride should be. I can't believe you are moving to GA! That's it-I have to get up there and meet you before school gets out. Happy Lonely Anniversary and hopefully you can make up for it next year!

Pamela said...

What a great photo of you guys! Happy Anniversary a little late! And I hope everything goes well for him and for all of you!

Unknown said...

Just stumbled on your recipe, this is awesome! We have a large Mediterranean specialty store here and a while ago I bought a bottle of commercial pomegranate molasses on a whim and it has been sitting in my fridge ever since waiting for me to find a use for it. Oh, and I happen to have a few tangerines too...