Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Smoked Gouda Grits

Grits are one of those foods that I never tasted until I moved to the South. I grew up eating hot cereal, but it was Cream of Wheat or oatmeal, always flavored with cinnamon, brown sugar or some kind of fruit. So when my husband was eating grits one morning, with butter, bacon, salt and pepper, I decided to try them, but I wanted to make them sweet. It didn't really work. So, I decided I didn't like grits.

That kind of decision can't really last when you live in Georgia. You are going to end up eating grits.

I decided to give them another try a couple of years ago, when I saw this recipe in Cooking Light. It was in one of their Holiday issues and I made it for Thanksgiving, as a side dish. Loved it!

I have made it multiple times since and it is always a hit.

So, now I eat savory grits, for breakfast, lunch or dinner and it is all thanks to this recipe. I sure am glad I gave grits another try.

Smoked Gouda Grits from Cooking Light
1 teaspoon butter
4 cups chopped onion (about 2 large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375°.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, milk, and salt; bring to a boil. Gradually add grits, stirring constantly with a whisk; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat; stir in cheese, egg substitute, and pepper.
Spoon grits mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes


Coming Tomorrow- Lentil and Spinach Soup with Pomegranate Molasses and Roasted Red Peppers

13 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

They eat grits a lot in the big house I work in. Of course they are from Alabama. I still haven't made up my mind about grits, but perhaps your recipe will help! Looks fantastic as always!

The Blonde Duck said...

Cheese and grits....what a perfect combination!

The Food Librarian said...

These look great! I don't get a chance to eat grits much here in Los Angeles, but always get them when eating at a southern restaurant. (I guess I can make them at home now!)

Noel said...

I have learned to love grits, but have never tried them baked. But hey anything with cheese has got to be good :)

Maria said...

Josh hates grits, he served his mission in FL and can't stand them, but I don't mind them, I just never eat them. I will have to try your recipe!

Memória said...

That's too much work for some simple, yummy grits! Just throw some butter, salt, and pepper to it with a splash of milk, and you're ok. Serve the grits with scrambled eggs or whatever you prefer. A real southerner will mix and eat the eggs and the grits together while on the plate. You can also serve the grits with grated cheese on top. I cannot imagine going through that much trouble to make grits haha. No recipe necessary.

Aggie said...

Gouda Grits!! oh man...that sounds perfect!! I would love a bowl of those right now...

Karen said...

I tried grits once. 'Nuff said. LOL I grew up in New England and these were unheard of! Glad you found a way to enjoy them :)

Unknown said...

My husband LOVES grits. He is from South Carolina so of course grits are dear to him. I'll have to surprise hjim with these

Cathy said...

LOL -- boy, can I ever relate to this post! Growing up in CT, grits aren't generally on the menu! And now one of my children won't eat much of anything, but she devours grits! This recipe looks fantastic -- I will definitely be making this. Oh, and I love grits as a dinner side dish -- even more than for breakfast!

Anonymous said...

I've never had grits, but I think I would like them with cheese. I'm always ripping cheese and grits recipes from magazines.

Not Another Omnivore said...

I scrolled down to leave a comment...but I am side tracked...I saw the pics from yesterday and am still drooling over them!

NAOmni

Barbara Bakes said...

I have to admit I have never tasted grits. I'm going to have to give them a try!