Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TWD-French Yogurt Cake with Marmalade Glaze and Green Egg and Ham Cups for St. Patricks Day!

Today's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, French Yogurt Cake with Marmalade Glaze, was chosen by Liliana over at My Cookbook Addiction. Mine don't look like a yogurt cake with glaze because I chose Dorie's Riviera version which uses greek yogurt or strained plain yogurt, olive oil and then either rosemary or mint. I had fresh rosemary and wanted to try these with the minced rosemary mixed in with the sugar and zest. I decided to make these in a muffin tin so they would bake faster (20 minutes) and for portion control. The overall taste was wonderful. My 2 year old really liked them-she ate more than her fair share, but I guess that is my fault for leaving them right within her reach on the countertop. The combination of the lemon and rosemary in a sweet muffin/cake was very good. Go check out what the rest of the TWD bakers did by checking out the TWD Blogroll!

I also made Green Egg and Ham cups because my kids love green eggs and ham. I only do this on St. Patricks Day because I think it looks sort of digusting, but the kids love it. Usually I just do scrambled eggs and add green food coloring and ham, but this time I decided to bake them in the oven and I added spinach and thyme. The ham sunk to the bottom but that didn't matter, the kids loved them. Happy St. Patricks Day- I hope you are wearing green!
Green Egg and Ham Cups by Mary Ann
10 eggs
6-8 drops of green food coloring
1/2 cup shredded cheese
salt and pepper
1 cup cubed ham
baby spinach leaves
fresh thyme
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Drop in food coloring and whisk until combined. Add cheese; season with salt and pepper and add ham. Stir well.
Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or brush with melted butter. Scoop 1/4-1/3 cup egg mixture into each cavity of the muffin tin. Place a couple of spinach leaves in each cavity and submerge with your finger or a spoon. Sprinkle fresh thyme leaves on top.
Bake for 11-13 minutes. Cups will be puffed and cooked through.
Coming Tomorrow- Fried Egg and Polenta Stacks with Sauteed Spinach and Pesto

24 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Your cupcakes look great Mary Ann. I almost did that version myself! Love the green eggs and ham! Happy St Patricks day to you!

Sihan said...

The riveria version looks that much lighter. Should give it a go next time. And i'm so loving the green eggs and ham! must have beena hit with the kids!

Steph said...

You are the coolest mom for making green eggs and ham! I like baking muffins too for shorter times too. Plus, it's nice not to have to get a knife out one in awhile..haha

Marthe said...

The cupcakes look so good with the rosemary specks in them!! Yum.


P.S. Check out my giveaway!!

Meghan said...

I love the green eggs & ham cups! Great idea to use spinach. My mom used to make me green scrambled eggs with food coloring. I have to say, they do taste better than regular scrambled eggs!

Anonymous said...

Hmm. . rosemary in the cake! I'll have to try that. Your cupcakes look great. But now the green eggs, not so tasty to me. Even on St. Patty's Day!!! Kids just love fun food though, don't they? I miss having the little ones at home. Treasure it - even on the baddest days!!! happy St. Patty's!!

Maria said...

Ok, the green eggs and ham cups are kind of scaring me:) I just don't get into all of the dyed food. It kind of grosses me out, but I know the kids love it!! I will just eat my green veggies today and call it good:)

Sophie said...

Oooh, a green savory treat for St. Patty's day! I like how you sneaked in the spinach-makes for a tasty and healthy breakfast!

farah said...

Your cupcakes look great, i'm so glad you liked them. I really wanted to try those flavours, next time! :)

Not Another Omnivore said...

Very festive!

NAOmni

chocolatechic said...

How fun with the green eggs and ham.

Anne said...

Those look awesome Mary Ann! What a fun St. Patrick's Day too! :)

Jennifer said...

Nicely done!!!!

Karen said...

Hehe... really cute green eggs & ham :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I love the green egg and ham cups! So CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Just in time for St. Patrick's day. Cupcakes look good and appealing. However the eggs look different. Something to savor once a year I guess! :-)

Anonymous said...

I debated about making the Riviera version. I'm glad to know it was a success. They look wonderful.

And yes, I have to agree that the green eggs and ham cups do look kinda gross--but it's fun for kids. How cool!

J.L. Danger said...

When I read your title I thought that you had made a Yogurt cake WITH green egg and Ham IN THEM.

I did a double take!

The eggs look interesting. I think my kids would love them too! They would e great for Dr. Seuss day too!

Heather B said...

Great job on both! I may have to try the green egg and ham cups!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your 2 year old has great taste when it comes to cakes, lol. You're right; we were Riviera Yogurt Cake twins this week. It seems that we are often on the same page with our healthy substitutions. You are cooking up some delicious things (in the preceding and the following post!) these days. Love the St. Patrick's day green food.
Nancy

Cathy said...

I LOVE your yogurt cupcakes, but mainly I'm wishing that I got over here this morning, because I would have loved to make those green egg and ham cups for breakfast! I still might (Dr. Suess theme) even though St. Paddy's Day is over!

Liliana said...

Your cupcakes look wonderful. I have to try the Riviera version.

Also, the green eggs and ham look sooo good - perfect for St. Patrick's Day.

Thanks for stopping by!

TeaLady said...

Great looking cupcakes. Love the green eggs and ham. Good Mommy! I wish I had tried that when mine were little. They loved Seuss.

Engineer Baker said...

Awesome looking green egg and ham cupcakes! And yes, portion control was necessary for this cake - it looks fabulous!