Monday, March 2, 2009

Lentil Stew with Butternut Squash

This couldn't be easier. A hearty stew that you throw in the crock pot. It has 2 of my favorite foods- lentils and butternut squash. I don't really know what else to say about it besides the fact that it is delicious, loaded with fiber, and super easy to make. I don't know how much longer we are going to have butternut squash available, but if you still have some in the store, buy one and take a easy night by making this stew. You won't be sorry.

Lentil Stew with Butternut Squash From Good Housekeeping Magazine
INGREDIENTS
3 large stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
1 large (12-ounce) onion, chopped
1 large (2 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 bag(s) (1 pound) brown lentils
4 cup(s) water
1 can(s) (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon(s) dried rosemary
Salt and pepper
1 ounce(s) Parmesan or Romano cheese, shaved with vegetable peeler
1/4 cup(s) loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped

DIRECTIONS
In 4 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker bowl, combine celery, onion, squash, lentils, water, broth, rosemary, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Cover slow cooker with lid, and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting 8 hours.
To serve, spoon lentil stew into serving bowls; top with Parmesan shavings, and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Makes about 11 1/2 cups.

Coming Tomorrow- Homemade Pomegranate Molasses

7 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Two of my favourite things Mary Ann! I love lentils and I love butternut squash. This looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

How do you dice the butternut squash in an easy way?
Thanks!
Yevette

Maria said...

Lentils and butternut, what a great stew!

Cathy said...

This looks perfect! It has two star ingredients that I love the most, lentils and butternut squash -- and it's made in the slow cooker to boot! I'm in heaven!

~~louise~~ said...

Just got back from shopping. Bought lentils & butternut. I'll be crocking this dish tomorrow. I can hardly wait. I'm going to try it with red lentils. Thanks so much for sharing. I can't believe I'm so excited just thinking about it!!! (It's the little things in life I suppose:) Thanks again, Mary Ann...

Anonymous said...

The stew sounds delicious and filling. I love both butternut squash and lentils. YUM.

I can't wait for the pom molasses tomorrow!

Not Another Omnivore said...

I am always looking for lentil recipes, and this one looks great!

NAOmni