Sunday, March 1, 2009

Roll-ups with Turkey Bacon, Peas, and New Potatoes

I really like magazines. But mostly for the recipes. I have recently gotten my subscriptions under control and only get the ones that I really use and need. Do you like how I used the word need? I still sneak peeks at the ones I used to suscribe to. Like Real Simple.
I also have this thing for tearing out the recipes from magazines. I put them in sheet protectors, which I then put in 3-ring binders and keep track of all of them. This way I can recycle the magazines, but keep the recipes I want to try.
I am embarrassed to say how many of these 3-ring binders I have. In fact, I don't think I am going to tell you. But, the point is, I tore out this recipe years ago and never got around to trying it, until the other day. Luckily, I remembered which binder it was in and I whipped it up.
I used turkey bacon and did not cook the bacon in butter. I think bacon has enough fat in it that cooking it in more fat really isn't necessary. I also used Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream because that is what I do.
This was a great twist on mashed potatoes and we really enjoyed it.
Now the question- Do you like magazines? and if so, do you tear out the pages?

Roll-Ups with Bacon, Peas, and New Potatoes from Real Simple Magazine
1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½-inch pieces
8 white corn tortillas
1 tablespoon butter (I omitted this)
4 to 6 slices precooked bacon, crumbled (I used turkey bacon)
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted in 2 cups water and drained
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/3 teaspoon dried
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup sour cream (I used Greek Yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan on high heat with enough water to cover them. Cook 15 to 18 minutes, until soft. Drain in a colander; set aside.
Meanwhile, wrap all the tortillas tightly together in foil and place in oven for 5 minutes. Place the saucepan back on low heat and add the butter and bacon. Stir until warm and sizzling, about 2 minutes; remove from heat.
Add the potatoes, peas, thyme, half the scallions, and half the sour cream. Stir and mash with a potato masher or a wooden spoon. Season with the salt and pepper to taste. Remove the tortillas from oven and place 2 on each plate.
Put 1/3 cup of the potato mixture on each tortilla and roll them as shown above. Top each with a spoonful of the remaining sour cream and sprinkle with the remaining scallions and a few grinds of black pepper to taste.


Coming Tomorrow- Lentil Stew with Butternut Squash

7 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh, those look really tasty Mary Ann! I have tons of food magazines and had to get rid of a lot of them recently. I hated to have to do it. I had always planned on pulling out recipes I wanted to try from each, but put it off and put it off until it was far too overwhelming. Lesson learnt! I shall now do it at the end of every month!

Jessica said...

I adore magazines and I'm an organization nut so this post/question is right up my alley!

In an effort to slim down my bottom line, I canceled almost all of my subscriptions except Bon Appetit (which is a gift subscription), Everyday Food, and Martha Stewart. I save the BA's if they're good issues. I rip recipes out of the other magazines, including the ones that I buy as an occasional treat. I used to do the notebook & sheet protector thing with magazine recipes and recipes that I printed off of the internet but I had to stop that because I had so many notebooks and I found that I was really bad about referring back to those recipes. So, now I just put them in a binder clip and hang them on my fridge. That way, when I am trying to think of something to make the inspiration is handy. The blog is helpful for cataloging them, don't you think?

Karen said...

I tear the recipes out that I want to keep (and eventually make LOL) and then pass the magazine on to someone else.

Not Another Omnivore said...

I applaud your healthy substitutions!

NAOmni

Not Another Omnivore said...

Oh, and I'm a bonafide magazine page hoarder. I'm guilty of ruining community magazines at the gym by doing this. I feel a little bad even admitting that here.

NAOmni

Maria said...

Looks great. I am obsessed with magazines. I check them out from the library, and subscribe to a few!! I have SO many recipes it is ridiculous!

Prudy said...

I wish I could get my hands on your magazine files! I love reading and saving recipes-even if I never actually use them they are great sources of inspiration when you are free wheeling it in the kitchen.