Monday, December 22, 2008

Greek-style Stuffed Peppers and Greek WonTon Cups


The other day I noticed that I had a little bulgur and some feta I needed to use and 6 gorgeous peppers, so I turned to The Food You Crave and found a recipe for Greek-style Stuffed Peppers. I made a couple changes to the recipe- I used ground turkey breast instead of ground beef and added a can of cannellini beans. I was able to fill 12 pepper halves and still had a little of the meat mixture leftover, so I made some Greek WonTon cups- using Greek Seasoning to flavor them and cooked up the leftover meat mixture. I put the mixture inside and topped them with some chopped plum tomatoes. Yum!



Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger
1 pd lean or extra-lean ground beef ( I used 20 oz. ground turkey breast)
One 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated ( about 1 1/2 cups)
1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 small onion, minced
1/2 cup bulgur
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1.2 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
3 medium red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, core and ribs removed
Two 14.5 oz cans no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, finely chopped and juices reserved (I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes, seasoned with olive oil and garlic)
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the beef, spinach, zucchini, beans, onion, bulgur, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9x13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomatoes with their juices over the peppers and sprinkle with the feta. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake the peppers until filling is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 45 minutes longer.
To make Greek WonTon cups- Go to this post and substitute Greek Seasoning for spice mix used.

Up next- Homemade Samoas for my Matt, on his birthday

4 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

How perfect is this!!! These are so beautiful, healthy and perfectly bite size.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm a pepper, you're a pepper, can I have one of these peppers? :)

Marie Rayner said...

Those look fabulously delicious and oh so healthy!

J.L. Danger said...

these look so great! So much color- wow.