Tuesday, December 9, 2008

TWD- Grandma's All Occasion Sugar Cookies

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, Grandma's All-Occasion Sugar Cookies, was chosen by Ulrike of Kuchenlatein. You can find the recipe on her blog or by turning to page 146 of the wonderful book, Baking-from my home to yours, by Dorie Greenspan. I was making a bunch of desserts for a get-together anyway, so I decided to take these along. I kept it simple by doing the slice and bake variety, but mixing it up a little by adding the zest of 1 orange to the cookie dough, as Dorie suggests in the Playing Around options, and icing them with some Orange Cream Cheese Frosting that I had in the fridge from a recent cake. These cookies were a big hit. Very, very popular. I am probably going to make them again and see how the dough holds up for cut-outs and decorating. Go check out what other cookie creations the other TWD Bakers came up with by visiting the TWD Blogroll!




Coming Tomorrow- Maria's Spinach Cheese Ravioli

21 comments:

Sihan said...

Is that orange zest in the cookie? Those look ravishing!

Jin Hooi said...

looks delicious !!! well done

Sarah said...

look and sound delicious! they worked out well for me for cut-out cookies (just had to add some extra flour when rolling them out).

Prudy said...

The orange zest would have made these really yummy. They weren't my favorite for cutting out.

Anonymous said...

Sugar cookies are the cookie staple in baking for me. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. If anyone inquires at myonlykitchen.com I will refer them here. Thanks again.

Maria said...

I love orange zest! I am sure these cookies are amazing!! So how did the ravioli turn out? I can't wait for tomorrow's post!!

Amanda said...

I loved these two! The cookie cutter part was a bit tough, but I prevailed! Yum!

Cathy said...

Oh, I love the orange zest and I especially love the orange cream cheese frosting! I think these were great as slice and bakes -- a little time consuming as cut outs. You made the right call! I am not at all surprised that your cookies were a huge hit!

Kirsten said...

Those cookies look fantastic. After seeing all these sugar cookies I feel inspired to make some soon!

Jacque said...

Mmm, I think the orange zest sounds wonderful... looks like I need to make some more of these.

They sound delish!

kimberly salem said...

ooh, the orange sounds so delicious... and you can't go wrong with cream cheese :) glad they were a hit!

Amy said...

I've got a get together this weekend that I think I'll take these too! Thanks for the idea!!

Tammy said...

I love the idea of adding zest!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

These look fab, with and without the frosting. I'll bet the zest really woke up the tastes. Great looking cookies!
Nancy

Engineer Baker said...

Ooo, orange cream cheese frosting. Sooo much better than royal icing, so much tastier. Brilliant idea - I bet they loved them!

The Food Librarian said...

Oh, so good! The orange zest is a great idea and the orange icing is fab too.

What's for Supper? said...

Those look so delicious!

Leslie said...

I love the flecks of orange zest, and orange cream cheese frosting sounds beyond yummy! I can't wait to try them this way. It's such a versatile recipe!

Marie Rayner said...

Your cookies look delicious Mary Ann!! I may try the slice and bake version next time!

Anonymous said...

Oh! I had orange cream cheese frosting in the fridge from some cupcakes I made for someone last week. Would have been perfect on these cookies. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

I love those orange flecks in your cookies! My mouth is wawtering!