Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cowboy Cavier in Cumin-Chili Spiced WonTon Cups


I remember a few years ago tasting Cowboy Cavier for the first time. I was pregnant and I couldn't get enough of it. I got the recipe, but misplaced it somewhere and kinda forgot about it, until the other day when I was fixing an appetizer for a holiday get-together. I wanted to make a dip, but something a little more hearty and healthy. I remembered Cowboy Cavier and recreated it in a very delicious way. I wanted something cute to serve it in and decided to use some WonTon Cups. I came up with this idea during the summer and used them for 2 Bean WonTon Cups and also as a cup when I made fresh peach ice cream, but used a sweet Cinnamon-Sugar WonTon Cup. I decided these Cumin-Chili spiced WonTon cups would be the perfect little way to serve this delicious dip. I just made a quick spice mix of cumin, chili powder and garlic powder and used that to spice up the wontons. If you have a party and need an appetizer, this one will disappear!


Cowboy Cavier by Mary Ann
1 15-oz can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 Tbls red wine vinegar
1 tsp canola oil
juice of 1 lime
1 garlic clove, minced
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl combine black-eyed peas, black beans, and bell pepper. Run corn kernels under hot water and drain. Repeat and let sit for a few minutes. Add vinegar, oil, lime juice, minced garlic, cilantro, and green onions to bean mixture. Stir to combine. Mix in corn and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in Cumin-Chili Spiced WonTon Cups or with tortilla chips.

Cumin-Chili Spiced WonTon Cups by Mary Ann
24 wonton wrappers
cooking spray
equal amounts of ground cumin and garlic powder (1-2 tsps)
1/4-1/2 tsp chili powder

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Combine spices in a small bowl and mix with fingers. Spray a muffin tin generously with cooking spray. Lay out 12 wonton wrapper, each one over a muffin cavity. Sprinkle with spice mixture, using fingers to spread evenly over top of wonton. Press each wonton wrapper down into the muffin cavity. Bake in the oven, until tips are brown and entire wonton is crisp and cooked, about 5-7 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool. Fill with Cowboy Cavier, just prior to serving.
Coming Tomorrow- My pick for Craving Ellie- Curried Butternut Squash Soup and Barefoot Bloggers- Savory Palmiers (why not some sweet ones too?)

8 comments:

Maria said...

Love this idea! The wonton cups are great and I am sure the cavier is the perfect filling!

Prudy said...

Yowza! Those are gorgeous and healthy too. I'm saving these for January when I have to be good again.

~~louise~~ said...

IMHO, it is quite possible you have just created the All American appetizer. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

Cathy said...

Wow! These look fantastic! Is the butternut squash soup your pick??? Ack -- I had dcided to skip Ellie/Barefoot for the rest of the month because I am so behind on Christmas, but if it's your pick, I think I'll go buy some butternut squash :-) (my friend Amanda already made it and said that it is delicious!)

Tooele Brezoff said...

I love it! I really want to eat more NOW!! Cute blog!

Just Us said...

Mary Ann, you are a trendsetter. I want to use the same people to make my blog all cute. They did an amazing job! So professional! Seriously, I am in jealousy heaven (which is a good form of jealousy)! I'm going to have to ask you all about it!

Marie Rayner said...

What a wonderful appetizer! I'll have to keep these in mind in January. I have two luncheons to cater to then!

Unknown said...

We love caowboy caviar!! I love that you made the wonton cups!