Monday, December 15, 2008

Quinoa Pie with Butternut Squash


I know there are probably too many pictures going on in this post, but they turned out so beautifully and this pie was so delicious that I couldn't stop myself. I have a thing for butternut squash and I had a little bit of quinoa I wanted to use, so I was searching for a recipe that could use both. I went to Martha Stewart's website and saw a picture of this beautiful dish. I had to make it.
It surpassed whatever expectations I had. The squash was delicious with the sage and quinoa. The combination of flavors was amazing. This is my new favorite dish. It would be perfect to serve at a holiday dinner. A perfect vegetarian entree. A perfect entree, period. The leftovers were divine. Delicious!







Quinoa Pie with Butternut Squash from marthastewart.com
Ingredients
Serves 8
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, havled crosswise, and seeded
18 fresh sage leaves, plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped sage
1/2 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 3/4 cup)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup quinoa
2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought vegetable stock
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Vegetable oil cooking spray
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 2 rimmed baking sheets with 1 teaspoon oil. Cut five 1/4-inch-thick rings of squash; cut remainder into 1/4-inch dice. Place squash on sheets. Toss with 1 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with 12 sage leaves. Bake until tender and just golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely. Keep oven on.
Heat remaining teaspoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. quinoa and stock; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat. Simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 2 minutes.
Stir together quinoa, diced squash, chopped sage, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Arrange 6 sage leaves face down in plate; top with squash rings. Press quinoa mixture on top.
Bake 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter. Serve wedges warm or at room temperature.
Up Next- Tuesday's with Dorie- Buttery Jam Cookies

11 comments:

Kasey said...

this looks way yummy! I've only visited your blog a few times. Do you make your own recipes also?

Cathy said...

Wow -- this IS beautiful! I love the crescents of butternut squash on the top. It sounds savory and wonderful! I will definitely be giving this one a try!

Steph said...

Another amazing meal idea! I bought some quinoa a while ago and still havn't been able to use it because I don't know how.. haha.

Prudy said...

That is so gorgeous! I would love it as I am cuckoo about all winter squash. You just seem to outdo yourself every day. Keep up the excellent work!

Maria said...

Neat looking pie!!

Aggie said...

I check out of blogland for a few days and I come back to all of this!! Wow Mary Ann, this looks fantastic and is so good for you! Beautiful pics!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Gorgeous! That looks so pro!

Chef Jeena said...

I love quinoa it is so healthy too.

This looks great you made it look really pretty. :-)

Debbie said...

This looks fab! It's definitely going on my list of things to try. I also am loving butternut squash this year. And I just bought quinoa. Yay. Love your blog. Your pics are gorgeous.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

OK, Mare, this sounds fabulous, but I wish it didn't involve peeling and cutting the squash. I'm such a baby - totally spoiled by the pre-cubed squash at the markets this time of year! But with my sage obsession, I might just have to stir myself to haul out the cleaver for this recipe!
Nancy

J.L. Danger said...

how adorable is the presentation on this one!