Tuesday, December 2, 2008

TWD-Linzer Sables turned into Cookie Cups with Chocolate Pastry Cream and Marionberry Jam


This week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe- Linzer Sables, was chosen by noskos over at Living the Life. You can find the recipe on his blog. They are a pretty little cookie, made with ground nuts and filled with jam or chocolate ganache. I love decorating cookies and cutting out shapes, but I wanted to do something different. Plus, I had 4 egg yolks in the fridge leftover from a meringue I made and I needed to use them. I decided I was going to make cookie cups and make some kind of pastry cream or filling with those yolks. I flipped through Dorie's book and found that chocolate pastry cream used 4 egg yolks and I know chocolate and hazelnuts are a tasty combination, so there you go. I only had skim milk, but the pastry cream turned out perfectly.
I halved the cookie recipe and used roasted hazelnuts for my cookie dough. I rolled it into a log and then stuck it into the fridge for a few hours. Then, in went the chocolate pastry cream to chill.
I cut the cookie dough into slices and used a regular sized muffin tin and a mini muffin tin to make my cookie cups, pressing the dough into little cups. The mini muffin tin worked best. I baked them for about 11 minutes and when they were cool, piped the chocolate pastry cream into some of them, topped with a dab of whipped cream. I also filled some with marionberry jam and sprinkled some powdered sugar on top. Pretty yummy! Go see everyone's cookies by checking out the Tuesday's with Dorie Blogroll.



Chocolate Pastry Cream-from Dorie Greenspan's Baking from my home to yours
2 cups milk (I used skim milk because that is all I had and it worked great!)
4 large egg yolks
6 Tbls sugar
3 Tbls cornstarch, sifted
pinch of salt
7 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted (I used half semi-sweet and half bittersweet)
3 Tbls unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into bits
Bring the milk to a boil in a small saucepan.
Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, until thick and thoroughly combined. Whisk 1/4 cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture, to temper the eggs so they won't curdle. Whisk constantly, pour the rest of the hot milk in a steady stream into the egg mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil, over medium-heat, whisking continually, making sure to get the sides and bottom of the pan. When the mixture starts to boil, keep whisking for 1-2 minutes more. Then, remove from the heat, and whisk in the melted chocolate. Let the cream sit for 5 minutes and then whisk in the butter, until the cream is silky and smooth.
Scrape the cream into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing against the surface of the cream. Refrigerate until completely chilled. Use as desired.
Coming Tomorrow- You Want Pies with That? Holiday Songs- It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas- Lime Cream and Mango Meringue Pie

35 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Your little cups are sooo cute Mary Ann! I love them! You always come up with the best ideas!!

Emily said...

I love your cookie creation! The chocolate cream looks so good!

Cathy said...

Are you kidding me???? You are amazing, my friend. These look truly fabulous, and I would have never thought of doing this in a million years. The most creative I could come up with was using Christmas tree cutters even though Dorie doesn't show Christmas trees in the book. These look incredible -- your flavor combos sound great, too!

noskos said...

They look so yummy!

Anne said...

Wow! Those are adorable and such a great take on the recipe. Nice job!

Prudy said...

Adorable! Please move by me. There's a house for sale on my street. I promise to provide you with lots of extra egg yolks that you can twist into more gorgeous creations.

Maria said...

Chocolate custard, brilliant! Both cookies sound delicious! Nice work on this one!

Kirsten said...

Those cookie cups look great! I want one right now!

chocolatechic said...

What a brilliant idea.

vibi said...

Wohhhhhh Nelly! Please hold me tight, for that little chocolate linzer tartelette is screaming my name! I must save it from all those admirers! Very, very appetizing Mary Ann!

Engineer Baker said...

Chocolate linzer cookie cups? Be still my heart - those look amazing. Wonderful way to use up those egg yolks.

kimberly salem said...

they look gorgeous!! great idea. i am lusting after the choc pastry cream cups in particular :)

Sihan said...

cookie cups! how clever of you! .. love that..

Alexa said...

Those little pastries are so darling! I love the care you show in your presentation. You are very talented!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Brilliant idea! I was ambivalent about the cookies but now I want to make these again and use your cookie cup technique!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! your linzer cups with choc pastry cream look delicious.

Aggie said...

Oh girl! These look so great!! I'm loving the hazelnuts in the cookie dough...please please send me some!


I'm loving that pasta salad below...heck, both salads! I have so much reading to catch up on! And so many recipes to bookmark! :)

Megan said...

Wow! Very creative and very impressive! Of course, chocolate pastry cream is good on just about anything, so to add it to cookies is a double bonus!

What's for Supper? said...

I always love coming to your blog. You are very creative and do such neat things that I would never even think of. That chocolate pastry looks to die for.

The Blonde Duck said...

The cookie cups are even cuter!

Tammy said...

wow, what a fabulous idea! they look too cute for words!

Melissa said...

Gorgeous! Great job!

CB said...

Omg! Your little cookie cups are adorable! Way to think outside the recipe and use up egg yolks! Nicely done my baking friend. ;)
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

The Food Librarian said...

I so love your creation! These look soooo delicious and tasty!!!!

Di said...

Excellent idea! I love chocolate pastry cream.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! This are some of the best I've seen.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I love your little cookie cups, and am I GLAD to know pastry cream can be made with skim milk. The fat content of these creations is about to kill me!
Great job.
Nancy

Shelby said...

They are so adorable!

Danielle said...

Great idea, I love the cups. They look so good with the chocolate cream.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

a delicious take on this recipe!!

Pamela said...

Whoa! These look absolutely amazing, Mare. Nice job!

AmyRuth said...

Wow you are so creative....thanks for sharing with all us peeps. Love your pastry cream idea, chocolate you say? uh huh! Lovely idea and very swank.
AmyRuth

Mumsy said...

I love your take on this, Mary Ann! I'm making a mental note...

doughmesstic said...

Holy Snot. What a great idea!! Cookie cups!

Linda said...

These cookie cups are fantastic!!! chocolate pastry cream with these cookies --- yum!!!