Tuesday, April 28, 2009

TWD- Chocolate Cream Tart

Yeah! A photogenic dessert!
This weeks Tuesday's with Dorie selection- Chocolate Cream Tart, was chosen by Kim of Scrumptious Photography. You can find the recipe on her blog and most likely the calorie information for the tart as well, which I discourage you from looking at (jk). Sometimes it is better not to know. You will also find just what you might expect- scrumptious photos of this tart and many other goodies.



This recipe is very straightforward. You make a chocolate tart crust and fill it with chocolate pastry cream.
Then you whip some cream, sweetened with a little sugar (I added more than what was suggested because I like it a little bit sweeter than Dorie does), spread or pipe it on top, and sprinkle it with cocoa powder. Pretty basic.

I stuck to Dorie's recipe and sent this tart off to the same work meeting as the lemon bars from yesterday. I have made the chocolate pastry cream before, so there weren't any surprises about how that was going to turn out. My tart shell didn't hold all the pastry cream, so I made extra whipped cream and some lucky members of my family got to have that for dessert (You are welcome, Jake!).
This was also the first time that I used my new rectangular tart pan and I thought it turned out very nicely. I cut the tart into 16 pieces which will make me feel better for the people who ate it, once I look at the calorie count on Kim's blog.
Actually, it really doesn't count as dessert if it isn't decadent. Right?
I am sure there are going to be some wonderful variations on this tart, so check out the TWD Blogroll to see what everyone else did with this very chocolately dessert!
Coming Tomorrow- Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze

28 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Your tart looks really good Mary Ann! I couldn't do this challenge because my Todd absolutely hates chocolate. I know, he's crazy. I would so love to have a taste of yours though!

Marthe said...

Yours looks really good!!!

Jessica said...

Your tart looks delicious and in terms of this tart and calorie counts, I agree, sometimes it's better not to know.

Meghan said...

I love your tart!! It looks so delicious! I love how both the crust and the filling are chocolate.

vibi said...

Ooooh! la la!!! Verrrry French looking, my dear! (you have to imagine this with a Pepe le Pew accent of courrrrse!) lol
Zis is ze best looking tarteh I've seen today! ...and I'm sure its taste was just as equally amazing.

~~louise~~ said...

Heavenly, simply heavenly...

steph- whisk/spoon said...

looks lovely in the new pan! as for the calorie count, i will just keep my eyes closed!

Soy*Baby said...

I love the rectangle tart pan. How cute. This was so yummy.

Chris said...

Looks fabulous! And you are so nice to share your lovely creations with others. :)

Annie said...

Good morning.

I cannot find the tart recipe on the website you linked. Any ideas?

Your tart looks positively wonderful and I'd like to make it for my mom for mother's day.

Thank you.

Annie

Karen said...

I'm not big on desserts, but this looks heavenly! I love the idea of the chocolate base... the cream could be vanilla, or orange... yes, orange! How about mint...Mmmm. I think I'm going to have to make this one :)

chocolatechic said...

I am green...just green about your rectangular tart pan.

Mary Ann said...

Annie- The recipe is now posted on the website that I linked to on this post. Sorry it wasn't up sooner! Hope you enjoy it!

Annie said...

Excellent. I look forward to trying it.

Thanks again.

Pamela said...

Oooh!! I'm so coveting your rectangular tart pan!! It was a delicious tart, but I really am afraid of knowing the caloric damage. At least I used skim milk, so that should help a little, right? ;o)

Jamie said...

Beautiful tart...I love that pan!

Anonymous said...

This may push me over the edge to purchasing a rectangular heart pan.

Anonymous said...

Your tart looks wonderful! I need to get a rectangle tart pan.

Leslie said...

This looks yummy! I love the rectangular pan. I minimized the calorie load by having my slice as dinner.

Anne said...

That looks great Mare and I love the new tart pan (I'm jealous!)

The Blonde Duck said...

I want to lick the screen...

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Mary Ann, we are tart-pan twins! But now I need to learn how to pipe whipped cream and we'll be ready for a duet. I might be making minis for the lemon tart, though. Oh, I love tarts, and I'd love a slice of yours right about now. This recipe's a keeper.
Nancy

Kayte said...

Absolutely beautifully perfect on every single count...I love those little swirlies with the cocoa powder dusting...so elegant. Very lovely.

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

oh Wow! That would quell my sweet tooth for sure! :-)
Looks really very good!

What's for Supper? said...

Yours looks so awesome. I love the different shape!

mike said...

Thanks for the comments! I love your blog as well - and the pie (er... tart) looks wonderful! Love the shape of the crust - those long, narrow tart pans are fantastic. The dusting is the perfect touch - nicely done!

TeaLady said...

I love that you used your LONG pan. I can't wait to use mine. I just didn't want a large Chocolate tart. Yous looks fabulous!!!

Unknown said...

Your photos are so pretty! I'm really jealous of the rectangular tart pans. They make such unique tarts! Nice job.