Saturday, April 11, 2009

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

Happy Easter, a little bit early! Here is a beautiful salad that would be a great compliment to anyone's holiday meal.
Asparagus seems to be a natural choice right now. It is in season and it is fairly cheap. Plus, it is really pretty and makes for a nice presentation.
Another nice thing is the fact that my kids LOVE it! I have to ration it out, so that everyone has some on their plate, otherwise, it will just disappear!
Back to the salad- The asparagus is marinated with a light vinaigrette, grilled or in my case, I just broiled it, and then served over mixed greens, with more of the Orange vinaigrette.
I reduced the amount of oil in the vinaigrette, just because I think you can always reduce the oil in dressing and it doesn't really affect the taste. I also left off the bacon because I wanted this salad to be fresh and light and bacon doesn't really fit into either of those categories, plus I don't care for it.
So, have a great weekend and enjoy something green, light and fresh!

Grilled Asparagus Salad with Orange Vinaigrette from Southern Living
1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange rind
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup olive oil (I used about 1/4 cup)
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds mixed gourmet salad greens
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (optional) (I opted not to include this)
Garnish: orange rind strips

Snap off tough ends of asparagus; place in a shallow dish.

Whisk together grated rind and next 6 ingredients. Pour one-third of vinaigrette over asparagus; cover and chill 1 hour. Drain. Set aside remaining vinaigrette.
Grill asparagus, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender; cool.
Combine greens, remaining vinaigrette, and, if desired, bacon; place evenly on 6 salad plates. Arrange asparagus over salad. Garnish, if desired.


Coming Monday- Spicy Black Bean Cakes

7 comments:

Risa said...

I love asparagus and this salad looks perfect. I am going to put this on this week's dinner menu.

Kerstin said...

What a lovely side dish - I love all the ingredients in the vinaigrette, it looks delicious!

Kasha said...

I kind of just want to be you! I found this blog through another food blog and I am definitely in love with your creativity. This blog is easy on the eyes. I especially appreciate the asparagus recipe. I am always looking for new ways to cook my favorite vegetable! I am definitely adding this to my blog. Would you please add mine to yours?! Thank you so much!
http://www.grubandstuff.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! I've been loving asparagus lately. I've been putting it into everything. YUM.

Aggie said...

We have been eating asparagus almost everyday lately! What a great fresh salad Mare!!

Eliana said...

My boyfriend loves asparagus and this looks like a great spring time recipe for me to make for him.

Charms said...

le creuset outlet stores

I have never love vegetables in any form and any dish. The only thing that it appears on our meal, is that my father is a vegetarian, and he will get angry if I won't have a taste of it. That's the reason why I stay out of home, and just visit them every holidays and thanksgiving.