Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze

I am convinced that this is the best Banana Bread ever. I have been making it for 6 years, ever since I saw it on the cover of Cooking Light Magazine. I have tried lots of other recipes too, because I am always up for trying new things. I have made the Cardamom Banana Bread with Pistachios, the Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread, the Molasses-Oat Banana Bread, the Orange Banana-Nut Bread, the Classic Banana Bread; not to mention family and friends' recipes too. And they are all really good.
But, I always come back to this recipe. It was rated as the best Quick Bread recipe that Cooking Light has ever come out with in their 20th anniversary issue and I wasn't surprised at all when I saw that in print.
It makes for a great gift for new or old mothers, new and old neighbors, basically, I would give this bread to anyone, anywhere and they would be glad to get it. I love the combination of coconut and lime and that is exactly what is going on here. The glaze is delightful, the bread is moist and you can't really ask for anything else in a quick bread recipe. Plus, it is a little bit healthier than some of the other banana bread recipes because it has a little less butter and some plain yogurt added in there. The recipe suggests subbing apple juice for the rum and that is what I always do.

So, next time you have ripe bananas that need to be used, try this recipe and you will be happy you did!
Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze Cooking Light
The tangy lime glaze cuts the sweetness of the bread. Substitute apple juice for the rum if you prefer.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
3 tablespoons dark rum
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk to combine.
Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut.
Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan.
Combine powdered sugar and juice, stirring with a whisk; drizzle over warm bread. Cool bread completely on wire rack.

Coming Tomorrow- CEiMB- Spaghetti and Meatballs

19 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Looks great Mary Ann!

Aggie said...

Oh this is calling my name Mary Ann!! It looks so delicious! I can't wait to make it!

Risa said...

This sounds absolutely incredible! I am flying home this weekend to visit my family and have been trying to decide what I am going to make them. This will be perfect!

Whitney said...

This has been one of my favorite banana bread recipes for a few years now. Thanks for reminding me of it!

Karen said...

Mmm, I bet this is so good with the lime in it. It would just "go" with the bananas and coconut.

Sara said...

This looks amazing! I can't wait to try this recipe. I love the idea of the lime glaze...genius!

Steph said...

That looks delicious! I'm not much of a glaze or icing person, but I think I would enjoy it!

Shelby said...

Yum! I made this only a few weeks ago myself and I agree this is the best bread out there. The loaf was gone in less than 24 hours!!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I have my very favorite - and healthy - banana bread recipe from Sunset Magazine, but my head is definitely turned by your beautiful bread. I'm betting you made this loaf to give away (was curious about the crumb)? Have you ever tried this recipe with part whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat?). Bookmarking!
Nancy

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

This is one of my all-time favorite recipes as well! But the chocolate marbled one comes in a close second. Yum!

Unknown said...

oh, you got me at lime glaze!

Kerstin said...

Wow, you've tried a lot of banana bread recipes, so I will have to try this one since it's your favorite! It looks super delicious.

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful. Coconut and lime is a great flavor combo.

Jacque said...

Oh my goodness, this looks positively sinful! Yum :)

J.L. Danger said...

this looks so good!

You know, I am an old mother...and about to be a new one again....if anyone is interested in a "practice" gift loaf.....


Just saying.

Pamela said...

I have been meaning to try this one for SO LONG! The bananas are starting to get soft, so I know that this is in our future. It looks utterly amazing!

test it comm said...

That banana bread looks so good! I like the sound of the banana, coconut and lime combo!

alexandra said...

Can you also substitute something in place of plain yogurt? I am out, but I have vanilla . . . would I just put less sugar in? I also have buttermilk. Would tha tbe an appropriate sub? Or whole milk?
ps I am friends with Audrey and I love your blog!

alexandra said...

vanilla yogurt, that is!