Tuesday, April 7, 2009

TWD- Banana Creme Mini Pies

This week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe, Banana Creme Pie, was chosen by Amy over at Sing for Your Supper. This pie consists of Dorie's super easy pie crust, pastry cream, sliced bananas, and a whipped cream topping.

My brother-in-law was coming to visit and I knew this would be the perfect dessert to serve while he was here. I made the pastry cream in the morning, used dark brown sugar (that is why my pastry cream is so dark), threw the crust together, baked the mini crusts, and then put all the parts together right before I served the mini pies. Fairly simple if I do say myself.

I made 12 mini crusts by using my muffin tin and a biscuit cutter and then still had pie dough leftover, so I made smaller rounds and had 7 mini-mini crusts, which I baked in a mini-muffin tin. I only had to bake the crust for about 11-13 minutes until it was done.

We all really liked this pie. I don't really know what else to say about it. It was easy, it was delicious and the mini portions made it a not-so-guilty pleasure. Check out the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll to see what everyone else thought about this pie!




Coming Tomorrow- 3-Grain Risotto with Asparagus

38 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

You little mini pies are so cute Mary Ann! Well done!

Steph said...

Those are very cute! Glad everyone liked them. Minis are worse for me.. I end up grabbing more..haha

Sihan said...

those mini pies look reallie cute! must have been really popular with everybody!

Marthe said...

Awww, your mini's look soooo cute! I went the mini route too this time

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your mini pies looks so elegant. There's nothing about them that I don't like.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea -- the miniature banana cream pies are so cute.

Maria said...

Glad you did minis! They are super cute!

Jamie said...

Quite possibly the cutest pies EVER!

farah said...

Lol, i made mini ones too! I love the way yours look, so yummy :)

Sabrina said...

Those look wonderful! Very nice!

chocolatechic said...

Your mini-mini's are just precious.

I just don't have the patience for doing mini's.

Teanna said...

The mini portions are adorable! And they definitely helped me feel not so guilty after eating one!

Michelle said...

Your mini tarts are so cute and TALL.

Great job!

Peggy said...

I love the mini pies! I skipped out on this one - shouldn't have I guess. I'll see you on thursday though for the salmon. YUM. Now I am wanting a slice of this banana pie cause yours looks so good!!!!!

Sara said...

Adorable! Nicely done.

Eliana said...

This is such a clever idea - mini pies. They look excellent.

Cathy said...

I love love love your minis! I need to start miniaturizing things more. For portion control and the pure adorableness of the minis. Glad that everyone enjoyed these!

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Adorable!! I bet these were a huge hit! Thanks for baking with me this week!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Meghan said...

I LOVE the idea of mini-pies!!! I want to try them!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your minis are adorable. I thought about making tartlets; next time! I'll bet the dark brown sugar was delicious in your pastry cream.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Love your mini cream pies. I made mine in mini tart pans but I wondered about the muffin tin. They turned out great.

Soy*Baby said...

I love the little mini pies. They look so delicious and are the perfect size for a little dessert. I'll have to try making mini crusts in the muffin tin.

Aggie said...

Oh Mary Ann these are so cute!! I would love one for dessert!

Pamela said...

Those little minis are the best!! Great job, Mare!

Heather said...

SO, so cute!!! And they look delicious. Great photography!

Jules Someone said...

Love the minis! I'm going to have to remember these one day.

Anonymous said...

I love your mini-pies they look great and the crust looks perfect.

vibi said...

Totaly adorable!

Like little sunrises on a foamy seas of creamy deliciousness!

Unknown said...

Love minis!!!

Anonymous said...

Your mini pies are so cute! Love the flavors.

angela@spinachtiger said...

I love what you did. Adorable.

margot said...

Adorable! I agree that it was nice to be able to divide up the kitchen time; always makes a recipe seem easier.

Amanda said...

Looks absolutely fabulous! This pie was a hit at my house :)

Anonymous said...

Very sweet (in all senses of the word)!

TeaLady said...

Sooooo cute.

Unknown said...

Those look fabulous! I love the way you stacked everything in the crust.

The Food Librarian said...

I'm a little late coming to the party to comment, but I wanted to say these are too darn cute! Love them!

Engineer Baker said...

Those are the most adorable things ever! I can barely stand it :)