Monday, April 6, 2009

Turkish Turkey Pizza

Since I made Pomegranate Molasses about a month ago, I have been looking online for different ways to use it in savory or sweet recipes. I found this recipe for Turkish Pizza at myrecipes.com and thought it looked good. My kids love any kind of pizza and although this isn't really a traditional recipe for pizza, we really liked it.
I made Whole Wheat Pitas and we used those as the base for the pizzas.
You cook up the ground turkey with red bell pepper and tomatoes and then add some spices and the pomegranate molasses. You top the the pitas with a subtley spicy yogurt mixture, then add the turkey/veggies and pop them in the oven for a few minutes.
In just a few minutes, you have a nice, healthy dinner.

Turkish Turkey Pizza from Cooking Light
Total time: 36 minutes.
Pomegranate molasses may be sold as concentrated pomegranate juice. Look for it in Middle Eastern markets, gourmet shops, and some large supermarkets. Its unique flavor makes it well worth seeking out, and a bottle lasts indefinitely in the refrigerator. If you can't find it, combine two tablespoons fresh lemon juice and two teaspoons honey, stirring until blended.

1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 pound lean ground turkey (I used ground turkey breast)
1 cup diced canned tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
4 (4-inch) pitas
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper

Preheat oven to 450°.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Add turkey; cook 3 minutes. Add tomato, 2 tablespoons parsley, tomato paste, and next 3 ingredients (through allspice) to pan; reduce heat to medium. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
Place pitas on a baking sheet. Combine low-fat yogurt, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small bowl; spread evenly over pitas. Divide turkey mixture evenly over pitas; sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes; serve immediately.

Coming Tomorrow- Tuesday's with Dorie- Mini Banana Creme Pies

11 comments:

Eliana said...

What a fantastic looking pizza that looks incredibly healthy. Just what we needed for Spring.

Meghan said...

Your pizzas are so colorful! I'd have to say pizza is my favorite food, and it's always nice to put a different spin on it!

Marie Rayner said...

You must get tired of hearing this, but, that looks absolutely delicious!

Karen said...

Sounds good and I think the Turkish Turkey Pizza title is perfect, after all, a pizza with turkey in it has to be a little 'turkish' ;)

Anonymous said...

It's looking yummy but this is not "Turkish"! :)
Loves from Turkey!

Anonymous said...

Your kids must be amazing eaters. I love that they all these wonderful and healthy things you make.

The Blonde Duck said...

All I can say is YUM!

Unknown said...

Oh yum!! Cade and I are thinking of making something from a different country every month. If you have any good recipes let me know! Also, we made you chicken pesto pizza on saturday. Delicious!!!! Would you mind if I posted the recipe, giving credit to you of course?

Kerstin said...

It looks super flavorful and I'm completely impressed you made your own pita!

Sophie said...

Wow, what a creative idea. I loooove the flavors, and the sweet and savory combo. Looks so fresh, this makes me want to go on a picnic!

I'll definitely be trying this! I'll have to figure out how to make gf pitas, but when I do, I'm whipping these up :D.

Cathy said...

I LOVE the flavors here, and I have a bunch of ground turkey in my freezer that I really need to use. I've been wanting to make your pomegranate molasses for a while now, I guess no time like the present! This looks fantastic!