Thursday, April 30, 2009

CEiMB- Turkey Meatballs with Quick & Spicy Tomato Sauce and Whole-Wheat Spaghetti or Spaghetti Squash

This week's CEiMB recipe, Turkey Meatballs with Quick & Spicy Tomato Sauce and Whole Wheat Spaghetti, was chosen by Amanda over at Oddball Oven Mitt. I really like meatballs (is that wierd, because I don't actually like meat?) Anyway, I was excited about this meal. My 4-year old is always asking me for noodles and red sauce, so she was excited too.
I decided to give everyone a choice and serve cooked spaghetti squash too. I used whole wheat angel-hair pasta and most everyone wanted some noodles and some squash. I followed the recipe pretty closely. I used 93% lean ground turkey because I think it is better for meatballs than ground turkey breast, which is a bit leaner.
One of the things I did change was that I made the meatballs smaller than Ellie called for. My kids like meatballs and I prefer them to be smaller also, so I got about 28 meatballs and then changed the cooking time accordingly. And I didn't add the sauce and meatballs to the pasta. I just served up everyones plate separately and that left enough sauce and meatballs to be distributed to the pasta and the squash.
We really enjoyed this dinner. To see what everyone else thought, check out the Craving Ellie Blogroll!




Turkey Meatballs with Quick And Spicy Tomato Sauce and Whole-Wheat Spaghetti 2006, Ellie Krieger
The spicy kick and multiple herbs in this sauce lend layers of flavor without fat. The carrot, onion and Parmesan add volume and moisture.
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 30 min
Ingredients
Sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (28-ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, liquid included
1 teaspoon finely minced canned chipotle en adobo and sauce, or more to taste
2 teaspoons chopped oregano leaves
1 sprig fresh rosemary
Salt
1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
Meatballs:
Cooking spray
1 pound ground turkey meat ( I used 93% lean)
1 slice fresh whole-wheat bread, crusts removed, pulsed into crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
1/2 cup finely grated carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 box (16 ounces) whole-wheat spaghetti
Directions
Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil for pasta.
Make Sauce:
In a 4-quart saucepan heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the onions until translucent, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, chipotles, oregano, rosemary, and salt. Bring all the ingredients to a low boil, reduce heat and cook for approximately 15 minutes, until liquid has evaporated slightly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. While sauce is cooking, make meatballs.
Meatballs:
Preheat the broiler. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine the turkey with all other ingredients in a large work bowl. Form into 2 1/2 -inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Broil for 10 minutes, or until browned and almost entirely cooked through.
Meanwhile, remove rosemary sprig from sauce and add fresh basil. Add the meatballs to the sauce, cover, and cook additional 10 minutes, or until sauce has slightly thickened and meatballs have absorbed some of the sauce. While the meatballs are cooking, cook the whole-wheat spaghetti according to package directions.
Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the sauce and meatballs, toss and heat through over medium heat. Divide evenly among 4 pasta bowls and garnish with parsley and 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan.
Yield: 6 servings

Coming Tomorrow- Persian Pomegranate-Walnut Chicken

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the great recipe. I am going to try making it today. Do you have any recipe that adds acai juice?

Meghan said...

These meatballs look great! I don't think it's weird that you like meatballs but not meat. I'm not a huge fan of ground turkey on its own, but I love it in meatball form! I love your idea to serve both spaghetti squash and whole wheat spaghetti. I also agree that the 93% lean turkey works better for meatballs - plus it's considerably less expensive :)

nick said...

I also LOVE meatballs. Growing up outside Philly I was practically raised on cheese steaks, cold cut and meatball sandwiches. There is a special place in my heart for them (and hating the Eagles).

How did you like the tomato sauce? Sara has never tried the recipe before.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Aggie said...

Oh yum, this looks awesome!! I haven't had spag squash in a while...you have me craving it again! with meatballs!

Sara said...

I also like my meatballs to be smaller. i got about 20 out of the mixture this time. Both of your versions look delicious.

Geoff said...

Looks great! We are big fans of spaghetti squash too and this looks like it would be a great way to get some on the plate!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors. I really need to try spaghetti squash.

Pamela said...

I just saw spaghetti squash in the store yesterday and I meant to pick one up! Oh well...next time. As you know, we enjoyed this one, too. Looks great!

Maria said...

Love your photos! I am a huge pasta fan!

Peggy said...

Hmm. I'm not sure I would like the spaghetti squash? I made small meatballs too. They cook quicker that way and I was in a hurry!! I love dishes like this that the whole family enjoys!

Leslie said...

I've never had spaghetti squash (I know, I've been living under a rock) but it sure looks great with your cute little meatballs! I wish I'd used ground turkey instead of ground turkey breast; my meatballs could have been juicier. Lovely photos as always!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are great! I haven't ever tried Spaghetti Squash but now I'm thinking I might give it a shot - looks yummy.

AJM said...

Spaghetti squash, love it!

Acai said...

They look great but I find whenever I make turkey meatballs they are kind of dry. I must be doing something wrong.

What's for Supper? said...

Your pics are beautiful. Great choice with the angel hair pasta too!

Cathy said...

Mare, this looks great! I love how you served some of this on spaghetti squash - bet that was really delicious. I am glad that you liked the meatballs. And you made this dish look so pretty - how do you do that, anyway?

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I'll take one plate each way, please! Your meatballs + sauce + pasta and/or squash look amazing. This is one Ellie recipe that I'd love to try - meatballs are a favorite of everyone around here, and we love a sauce with some kick.

Marthe said...

Yours looks really good! I've never had spaghetti squash, sounds interesting!