Tuesday, April 21, 2009

TWD- 4 Star Chocolate Bread Pudding

This week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe, 4- Star Chocolate Bread Pudding, was chosen by Lauren. You can find the recipe on her blog- Upper East Side Chronicle. I have to admit that this was one of the recipes that was on my list of things I wanted to choose when it was my turn to pick the recipe. I made bread pudding last year for the first time because I found an interesting recipe in a magazine and we all really liked it. Except my husband thought the name sounded gross, so we called it French Toast Pie instead. Anyway, I knew that I was going to like this recipe.
I used challah bread and made 1/2 of the recipe. My bread was stale, but I toasted it anyway, to make it crisp and ready to soak up the yummy custard. I ended up using 2 eggs in the custard because I didn't feel like halving an egg. I also used skim milk because that is what I had in the fridge and used a little bit extra heavy cream to thicken it up.
I thought this recipe was super easy. I made it in 5 little ramekins.
I liked the chocolate in the custard. I sprinkled raisins on top of some of them and chocolate chips on top of the others. I sprinkled raisins and chocolate chips on one. Daring, I know.

This definitely isn't a pretty dish and it isn't very photogenic, but it tastes good and that is what really matters. My daughter digged into one warm.
I thought they tasted better cold. I didn't serve them with any topping or anything else. Delicious. Go check out the TWD Blogroll to see if everyone else loved it as much as we did!
p.s. I know all my pictures look exactly the same, but they are different angles. I was really trying to get a good looking pic of this one, because it tasted wonderful......



Coming Tomorrow- Asparagus with Chopped Egg and Vinaigrette

41 comments:

Michele said...

your bread pudding looks awesome!

Jin Hooi said...

Glad you like the pudding and well done, your pudding looks great !!

Amanda said...

I agre it was hard to photograph! I am a fan on vanilla custard bread pudding, but I really liked this one too. It was even better drizzled with chocolate sauce or cream anglaise!

LoveFeast said...

yum! I bet a little bourbon sauce would set this off nicely!

Marthe said...

Glad you liked it, I wasn't crazy about the pudding though....

farah said...

This was one yummy pudding! Glad you and your family liked it :)

What's for Supper? said...

We really enjoyed this one! Great job.

Meghan said...

The pics look great! I love chocolate in any form. I've been wanting to make bread pudding for a long time!

Peggy said...

Great looking bread pudding. I loved this one as well. My photos didn't turn out too well either!

Steph said...

French toast pie totally sounds a million times better! I think your pictures always look great.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Good job making this one look (nearly) as good as it tastes! I finally gave up with the camera and gave all my concentration to eating it! French toast pie sounds delicious too (although I have no prob with calling it bread pudding!) - we are huge fans of anything pudding-y or custard-y, or indeed any spoon food!!
Congrats on throwing in the whole second egg; this was that kind of recipe, right?
Nancy

Mumsy said...

Great job! I think it looks good. My kids liked it, too.

Eliana said...

You did an awesome job with this brad pudding. It looks fantatic. And I love all the different camera angles.

Soy*Baby said...

I love the name French Toast Pie. Too cute. Your bread pudding looks good despite being non-photogenic.

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

I'd meet you in the kitchen ANYTIME if your making this again soon! Delish and BRAVO!

Jenifer

Michelle said...

French Toast Pie...I love this name much better. Mind if I adopt it?

I think it's better cold too!

Great job!

chocolatechic said...

Looks wonderful.

I used donuts for mine, but I feel it still needs more.

Sara said...

Mmmm, this bread pudding looks so great. I've never tried chocolate bread pudding.

Cathy said...

Mary Ann, this looks wonderful, and I love the picture of your little cutie digging in! You so crazy adding chocolate chips AND raisins to one of them! Funny, I was thinking that these would be really good with chocolate chips - wish I added them. BTW, I love how you renamed your earlier bread pudding "french toast pie" - isn't it funny how the name of something can turn some people off to it?

Anonymous said...

I think your photos look great; this dish is just not the most photogenic. Too funny about "French Toast Pie!"

Sara said...

Looks great, though this might be one of the most unphotogenic TWD's yet.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures look great. I agree that it is not most one of the photogenic recipes we made. It was pretty good though.

Karen said...

Your daughter looks like a mini-you! Cute :)

Jennifer said...

I think your photos look great. I really enjoyed this recipe, too, especially how easy it was. I halved mine, too, and made it in ramekins, which, somehow everything looks cuter smaller, doesn't it?

doughmesstic said...

Forget the bread pudding...look at that CHILD! Just gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

YOur bread pudding looks wonderful. I'm glad it was a success for you. French Toast Pie! I love it.

Jules Someone said...

Hehehe. French toast pie. Whatever you called it, it looks delicious!

Sweet as Coco said...

Glad your family enjoyed this....I agree--its not exactly photogenic...I left it in my baking pan for the photo op.

Maria said...

Nice job on the pudding, not everything has to be pretty to taste good:)

Engineer Baker said...

Photogenic is relative - if you know it's chocolate bread pudding, it just *has* to be good. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I think bread pudding would have more fans if it had a better name!

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks so good!

Unknown said...

Your pudding looks fabulous! You're right - this isn't the prettiest recipe but it was so delicious that it didn't matter :)

The Food Librarian said...

Yum! Your daughter is too cute! The little ramekins are so perfect!

Marie Rayner said...

Your pudding looks incredible as always! I didn't do this one as you probably know. I have always found chocolate anything very difficult to photograph. So is meat. I think it's the colour. Your pictures look really good to me though.

Welles Tan said...

Interesting photos! Great menu as well!

Amanda said...

I had a hard time getting a good picture too. Yours looks good!

NKP said...

It was hard to photograph. So happy that you and your family loved this one, your daughter is such a cutie!

Pamela said...

This was a tough dessert to photograph, that's for sure. I love the pic of your daughter taking a bite!! Very cute. Nice job.

TeaLady said...

Looks yummy!! I love bread pudding,but didn't get a chance to try. But got my challah baking now, so we will see. Yours looks just fine.

Shari said...

I'm so impressed at how you tell readers what's coming up next! You're so organized. I loved this recipe too!