Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Asparagus with Chopped Egg and Vinaigrette

I am not sure why we dyed so many eggs for Easter. My kids just get so excited about the colors and the eggs seem to go to fast. Of course we used the hard-boiled eggs for the usual things that we love- Egg Salad Sandwiches and Deviled Eggs, but I didn't take pictures because I have posted about both of those before (last year). I was looking for a different recipe that would use a couple of the eggs.
I remembered this recipe from the April issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray and asparagus has been very affordable lately, so I decided this was the next thing I was going to try.
This recipe is really easy. I had everything on hand and it was ready in a matter of minutes. You just press the eggs through a sieve and place them on top of the asparagus which is drizzled with the vinaigrette. It turned out great and made for a nice side dish.


Asparagus with Chopped Egg and Vinaigrette
Susan Jaslove
From Every Day with Rachael Ray
April 2009
SERVES 8
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 5 min
3 bunches asparagus (about 3 pounds), tough ends snapped off
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 small shallot, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 large eggs, hard-boiled
1. In a large, deep skillet, add enough salted water to reach a depth of 2 inches; bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water and let stand until chilled. Drain and pat dry.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, shallot, mustard, tarragon and orange peel. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until combined; season with salt and pepper.
3. Cut the hard-boiled eggs in half, then press through a sieve into a small bowl. Toss the asparagus with some of the vinaigrette. To serve, drizzle with more dressing and top with the eggs.
Coming Tomorrow- Craving Ellie- Balsamic Chicken

16 comments:

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

I love asparagus and chopped up eggs, what a fabulous combo! Thanks for sharing! I'm always looking for great ways to spice up my asparagus.

Truly,

Jenifer

Marie Rayner said...

This is one of my favourite ways of cooking and eating asparagus. As usual your photos look fantastic!

test it comm said...

This would make a nice light meal. Great way to enjoy some asparagus.

Eliana said...

This sounds like a great, healthy, go-to meal. Fabulous combination.

Steph said...

I love asparagus. Serving it with a vinaigrette sounds wonderful!

Maria said...

I have never tried eggs and asparagus together. We had roasted asparagus last night though. I will have to make this one next time!

caralluma fimbriata said...

i think I am just going to eat the egg..hehehe

Never in my life to eat asparagus.!!! i hate it...

but you have a good combination.!!!

square kitchen said...

i see, in your kitchen is asparagus season. i think ts the third or fourth time this month. a wonderful idea with the eggs. two days ago I enjoyed some asparagus with homemade mayonnaise... greetings

Aggie said...

Mare! I made something similar to this last week with leftover asparagus and eggs! I didn't make it into a vinaigrette though...yum!!

Unknown said...

We love asparagus. Did you love this recipe? It looks so good, but sometimes we don't love RR recipes.

Anonymous said...

Yum. It sounds very delicious and easy. I have everything on hand too. Except I would have to cook the eggs, but that's easy.

Unknown said...

I usually like my veggies pretty simple too, but there is just something so delicious about this recipe. I bet I'll love it!

Anne said...

Wow that looks so yummy with the bright green asparagus and the pretty zest!

cesar ian lesmoras said...

Asparagus and eggs?? Wow! actually I'm impress because for me i don't think it gives good taste but it is just my opinion.

Power Kites Sale said...

I'd never eaten asparagus in my life. But the idea of the food is good.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I love how festive your asparagus looks with the eggs and the zest. Great Spring dish, especially with an extra hard boiled egg (or 5) lying around!
Nancy