Sunday, April 26, 2009

Huevos Rancheros

This was a really quick lunch we had recently on a day off from school. I know Huevos Rancheros are supposed to be a breakfast dish, but, I made them for lunch and it worked out. I also think that Huevos Rancheros traditionally calls for fried eggs, but I am not an expert, so I don't know for sure. I am not calling this an authentic dish, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am just using the recipe title that was in the magazine. I served them at the wrong time of day and made them untraditionally, but they were still good.
This is a quick meal and it starts out with a really fast blender salsa. You cook everything in the same pan, so there aren't alot of dishes to worry about.
I added some cumin and chili powder to the black beans, just so we could have a tad bit more flavor.
This recipe was really fast and I could see it fitting easily into our favorite meals.
I like eggs and beans. They are pretty basic and this is a fun way to get them into your diet. So, if you have a few minutes, try serving these for breakfast, or lunch, or really, whenever you want.

Huevos Rancheros From Every Day with Rachael Ray Magazine
One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 small onion, quartered
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
1 jalapeño chile, halved and seeded
Cooking spray
7 large eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
8 small corn tortillas, warmed
1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (about 2 ounces)
1/4 cup light sour cream (I used Greek Yogurt)

1. Using a food processor, pulse together the tomatoes, onion, cilantro and jalapeño until chunky. 2. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the eggs, season with salt and pepper and scramble for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a large plate.
3. Wipe out the skillet, add the beans and 2 tablespoons water and cook over medium heat until warmed through; transfer to a bowl. Wipe out the skillet, add the salsa, season with salt and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Divide the tortillas among 4 plates and top with the beans, eggs, salsa, cheese, sour cream and cilantro.

Coming on Monday- Cookie Carnival- Toasted Almond Lemon Bars

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, traditional huevos rancheros uses a fried egg, and a red sauce (like enchilada sauce)and I think the tortilla may be briefly fried in oil.
This version sounds much healthier though. And delicious.

Engineer Baker said...

Those look wonderful and easy and fresh though - I think I like your version!

Cathy said...

This would be an ideal breakfast-for-lunch or breakfast-for-dinner dish around here! It looks healthy, filling and delicious. I love it and can't wait to make it!

Marie Rayner said...

That looks good Mary Ann and quite healthy as well. We often have breakfast for supper in this house. This sounds like the perfect dish!

Anonymous said...

yum i LOVE huevos and this is a great healthy alternative way to make them because they tend to be high in calories and fat. love the greek yogurt swap!

Karen said...

These look good... traditional or not :)

Michele said...

Looks delicious!

Treehouse Chef said...

Wow! This looks fantastic. Thanks for the recipe.

Unknown said...

Can we just talk about how my husband just pulled this up and asked me to make it. All by himself. So funny! Looks delicious!