Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mexican Salad with Pomegranate-Lime Dressing


Here is a quick, fresh salad that I wanted to try even though pomegranates aren't in season right now. I still had some of the POM Wonderful juice that I received in the mail and used that in the dressing. Because of that, I omitted the pomegranate arils and made a few other substitutions as well.
This was a fun salad, with lots of different flavors and textures. The fact that you can find POM juice in the grocery store, makes this salad accessible all year round. so give it a try!

Mexican Salad with Pomegranate-Lime Dressing from Cooking Light
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh pomegranate juice (I used POM Wonderful juice)
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups arugula leaves (I used spinach)
1 1/2 cups (3-inch) julienne-cut peeled jicama
1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (I omitted these)
4 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add olive oil, and stir with a whisk. Add arugula and the next 4 ingredients (through cilantro), and toss gently. Place 1 cup salad on each of 4 salad plates. Top each with 1 tablespoon seeds and 1 teaspoon pine nuts. Serve immediately.

Coming Tomorrow- Huevos Rancheros

8 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

That looks really good Mary Ann. We can't get jicama over here. I wonder what I could use instead??

Debbie said...

I love different salads... it's so much fun to change them up and make them different (than the regular lettuce salad )

Engineer Baker said...

That a really intriguing combo of flavors and ingredients. Might have to use up some of my POM juice on it...

Kerstin said...

What a lovely salad dressing - I made Pomegranate Lime Rickey's and they were super refreshing, so I know this salad would be super tasty!

Anonymous said...

Pomegranate lime dressing sounds wonderful. This reminds me of a Mexican salad we used to get in our hometown. YUM!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

Avocados always add to a salad. Yours looks amazing. yum!

Eliana said...

Pomegranate lime dressing - that sounds like it FULL of flavor.

Power Kites Sale said...

I think it's delicious but i don't i can afford the ingredients.