Thursday, February 26, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers- Meringues with Pomegranate Gelato and a drizzle of Homemade Pomegranate Molasses

Today's Barefoot Bloggers recipe, Meringues Chantilly, was chosen by BMK, who blogs over at Reservations Not Required. I was actually very excited about this recipe because I have been wanting to make meringues ever since I saw this recipe for Kiwi Meringues, in a recent issue of Everyday Food. I hadn't found time to squeeze them into my treat-making schedule (as strange as that may sound, I really do have one, because there are so many things to make and so little time to make them all), so the fact that I had a date I needed to post them by, really helped me in making these meringues a priority. Now, the Barefoot Contessa's recipe for meringues, has them served with Orange-flavored whipped cream and stewed berries, which I think sounds fabulous, but I had to change it up a bit.
I recently received an email from Diana, the POM Blogger, who works for POM Wonderful. She was wondering if I wanted to try some POM juice, which was ironic, because a day or two before she emailed me, I found a recipe for Pomegranate Gelato, that I had to try. I had searched the grocery stores in my area and none of them had 100% POM juice. I quickly emailed Diana back and told her to please send me a case of POM juice and she did.
Then the idea hit me. Why not fill the meringues with Pomegranate Gelato and then drizzle Homemade Pomegranate Molasses over the top? (More about the Pomegranate Molasses to come- it is so good, it has to have it's own post).
So, I set to work, making the Pom Molasses, Gelato and Meringues and then, I put the whole dessert together. WOW!
Can I just say that this was a fabulous dessert. My daughters were in love with the "white cookies" and the Gelato was amazing. Not too sweet, the pomegranate flavor was subtle and the Pomegranate Molasses, like I said, it deserves its own glory. It is divine. This was an amazing dessert. That is all I have left to say.




Meringues Chantilly 2004, Barefoot in Paris
Prep Time: 30 min Cook Time: 2 hr 0 min
Level: Easy Serves: 12 meringues
Ingredients
6 extra - large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Kosher salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Whipped Cream with Orange Liqueur, recipe follows
Stewed berries, recipe follows
Directions
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a small glass and a pencil, draw 6 (3 1/2-inch) circles on each piece of paper. Turn the paper face-down on the baking sheets.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and a large pinch of salt on medium speed until frothy. Add 1 cup of the sugar and raise the speed to high until the egg whites form very stiff peaks. Whisk in the vanilla. Carefully fold the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar into the meringue. With a large star - shaped pastry tip, pipe a disc of meringue inside each circle. Pipe another layer around the edge to form the sides of the shells.
Bake for 2 hours, or until the meringues are dry and crisp but not browned. Turn off the heat and allow the meringues to sit in the oven for 4 hours or overnight.
Spread some of the sauce from the stewed berries on each plate. Place a meringue on top and fill with whipped cream. Top with berries and serve.
Whipped Cream with Orange Liqueur:
2 cups (1 pint) cold heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange liqueur
Whip the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. When it starts to thicken, add the sugar, vanilla and orange liqueur and continue to whip until the cream forms stiff peaks. Don't overbeat, or you'll end up with butter!
Yield: 4 cups
Stewed berries:
1 half-pint fresh blueberries
3 half-pints fresh raspberries, divided
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoons framboise (raspberry brandy)
Combine the blueberries, one-half pint of raspberries, 1/3 cup water, the sugar and zest in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook uncovered over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes. The juice will become a syrup and the berries will be slightly cooked. Off the heat, stir in the remaining raspberries and the framboise. Set aside.
Yield: 8 servings


Pomegranate Gelato Gourmet September 2006
Yield: Makes 1 quart
Active Time: 15 min Total Time: 3 1/2 hr
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups bottled pomegranate juice
1/3 cup pomegranate liqueur such as PAMA (I just used more Pomegranate juice)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Special equipment: an ice cream maker
Garnish: pomegranate seeds
Whisk together cream, milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking occasionally, then boil, whisking, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients.
Transfer to a bowl and chill, uncovered, until cold, at least 1 hour.
Freeze in ice cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 2 hours.
Soften gelato slightly in refrigerator, about 20 minutes, before serving.Cook's notes:•Cream mixture (before churning) can be chilled, covered, up to 1 day ahead.•Gelato keeps 1 week.
Whisk together cream, milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking occasionally, then boil, whisking, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients.
Transfer to a bowl and chill, uncovered, until cold, at least 1 hour.
Freeze in ice cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 2 hours.
Soften gelato slightly in refrigerator, about 20 minutes, before serving

Coming Tomorrow- Chicken Breast Florentine with Whole Wheat Angel Hair and Marinara

23 comments:

Suzie said...

Wow - I will have to try this again with the pomegranate. Your description has me wishing I could have some now.

Marie Rayner said...

Mary Ann, this looks and sounds delicious! I love pomegranate juice. We have oodles of it over here. I am really interested in seeing how you made the pomegranate molasses! I love the stuff!

Maria said...

Beautiful dessert. I love gelato, it is a favorite treat at our house!! At our wedding we even had a gelato bar!! So fun!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, that sounds so incredibly fabulous my mouth is watering. I love... I mean LOVE pomegrante.

If you ever find the pomegrante liquor... splurge and buy it. It's amazing.

~Cat

Cathy said...

Wow -- your pictures say it all! They are beautiful, and this looks and sounds so wonderful. I missed this recipe (I've been a bad barefoot blogger this month!) but will have to come back and try it again after reading your rave review!

La Bella Cooks said...

I absolutely love the idea of pomegranate gelato! This recipe sounds divine and it looks like your meringues turned out beautifully. A very elegant dessert!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The pomegranate gelato sounds amazing. I've never made homemade pom molasses. It sounds yummy. Can't wait to see its post.

Aggie said...

you are so so creative!! I love it all!! I wish I could have made the meringues, I don't think I'll get to them this month. I wish I had one of yours with the gelato!

Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds delicious. The pomegranate gelato sounds amazing.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Wow, everything looks amazing! I absolutely love POM pomegranate juice, it is kind of tricky to find at stores though, how cool that you got a free case!! Your meringues are perfect and that gelato is now on my 'need to make' list, and what's really funny is that I was reading through the igredient list and noticed PAMA liqueur which we have a big bottle of and no idea what to do with (hubby bought it at Sam's because he knows I love pomegranate even though we rarely drink anything) so now I might finally get to use it :)

Not Another Omnivore said...

That looks amazing!

NAOmni

Unknown said...

I am the pomegranite. Your dishes always look so beautiful and delicious!

Peggy said...

I'm dying to make these merengues but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe over the weekend. They look delicious!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun twist on the recipe! You should try the stewed berries sometime, they were delicious.

Jacque said...

Oh my gosh, those look like a little bit of heaven.

So cute!

Leslie said...

What a great idea to make it with a gelato instead of the stewed berries! Your meringues look just perfect. I can't wait to hear about the pomegranate molasses!

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! I adore pomegranates and am sad that I can't get them until next fall where I live. And I also really love meringue - those meringue cups look super tasty.

BMK said...

I'm so glad you liked this one! Your variation was my very favorite. I love pomegranates and this looks absolutely fabulous!

Hayley said...

This dessert you have here is something else. I can't wait to try the ice cream, I've been meaning to experiment more with my new attachment. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

you win. i'm loving the pomegranate combination. sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

Yummy Post! I am a huge fan of pomegranate juice too. I used to spend a lot unnecessarily on expensive diet programs but now I know the secret. Going green is what is best. Thanks for sharing this information with us.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

aline said...

interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it.

Gelato Equipment